Down to one duck

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
I found BYC over 12 years ago, before we moved from Alaska to Alabama and I ordered a trio of runners from Metzer Farms.
The last of the original trio passed away around 2 years ago, which left me with 2 ducks. Well, as of this morning, I'm down to one duck, Attu. She'll be 10 this year. She has 4 chickens, one of which was raised by her ducky friend and she was the honorary aunt. They were a trio, 2 ducks and a very confused chicken. I split the ducks off 2 weeks ago after a hawk attach on Kodiak and they were separated from the chickens for a few days and now her chicken has been hanging with the chickens more than the ducks.
So Attu is lonely. Attu is almost 10. Introducing ducklings will take a while and I'd rather her not be lonely that long. I've never introduced new adult birds. I think that is probably my best route. I have the in theory how to do it, but is there a faster way so the poor girl isn't lonely? Tips/tricks from those that have done it?
She's pretty laid back, but she also has an opinion and will take it out on smaller birds.

Have you read anything about the "see but no touch" method for introducing birds to each other? You would basically make a scenario so you could introduce Attu to the new adult birds without them being able to touch each other. A large dog crate or even a temporary pen inside your pen works fine. I have had great success with integrating new birds using this method. Ducks, geese, chickens, guineas, ETC.
Seeing as she's lonely, I would think you wouldn't have to keep them separate for as long as a week, but all birds are different. I would probably keep them separate for at least several days and then try letting them out together and monitoring.

“see but no touch" is the only method by which we’ve introduced new ducks and young chickens to our mixed flock … it’s never failed yet! Cannot say that absolutely everyone has become BEST FRIENDS with everyone because there are many different personalities but there’s not been any fighting or bullying whatsoever!

We put our chicks in an adjacent pen when they are fully feathered for a few weeks (we have multiple roosters and they all run together and appear to respect one another) Our Ducks too go out there when they are fully feathered, until the fence that separates them becomes a ‘formality’ …

Different groups of my ducks do share a small pool which different groups occupy at different times … they do not swim together but they eat, sleep and roost together 🤷🏻‍♀️

I found BYC over 12 years ago, before we moved from Alaska to Alabama and I ordered a trio of runners from Metzer Farms.
The last of the original trio passed away around 2 years ago, which left me with 2 ducks. Well, as of this morning, I'm down to one duck, Attu. She'll be 10 this year. She has 4 chickens, one of which was raised by her ducky friend and she was the honorary aunt. They were a trio, 2 ducks and a very confused chicken. I split the ducks off 2 weeks ago after a hawk attach on Kodiak and they were separated from the chickens for a few days and now her chicken has been hanging with the chickens more than the ducks.
So Attu is lonely. Attu is almost 10. Introducing ducklings will take a while and I'd rather her not be lonely that long. I've never introduced new adult birds. I think that is probably my best route. I have the in theory how to do it, but is there a faster way so the poor girl isn't lonely? Tips/tricks from those that have done it?
She's pretty laid back, but she also has an opinion and will take it out on smaller birds.
@Miss Lydia

Back
Top Bottom