1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Downsizing for City Life

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by HaikuHeritageFarm, Jan 27, 2011.

1. HaikuHeritageFarm

HaikuHeritageFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    So, I got a nice flock going last summer when I lived on a big farm up in the valley, then life, and a great new job, happened and forced a move to a city lot in the middle of downtown Anchorage, AK. I sold off my flock, which broke my heart, but now that the days are starting to get a LITTLE bit longer and a LITTLE bit warmer, I am wanting birds again.

We have a tiny city lot, maybe 1/8 of an acre with a good portion of that taken up by house. Our neighbor is a backpacker's hostel and the windows of the upper floor overlook our yard, so keeping things low key is an issue.

What would you recommend? Does anyone have experience with those privacy slats for chainlink fence? Keeping nosy neighbors and passersby out of my chickens is of great concern.

Other than that, I'd love to hear your tips and tricks for keeping chickens in close city quarters!

2. HaikuHeritageFarm

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Also, has anyone ever tried keeping a rooster in their basement at night through mid-morning to limit crowing complaints? [​IMG]

3. Hillary and friend's eggs

Hillary and friend's eggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2010
    My trick: NO roosters...EVER...[​IMG] and also, living next to nice tolerant neighbors is helpful when the hens get loud at laying time![​IMG]

And as for nosy neighbors, they WILL find out by hearing the roosters crow if you have roos, but IF you're lucky, the neighbors won't know the difference between laying hens and crows/songbirds, but the bwak bwak bwak bwak bwakak! is pretty distinguishable. So your best chances for the neighbors not knowing/ not caring that you have chickens is no roosters and a good fence.

Hope this helps a bit![​IMG]

4. TigerLilly

TigerLilly I failed Chicken Math

Jul 18, 2010
    Central Florida
    Are you not allowed to have chickens where you are now, or is it that you want to be as low-key as possible?
    I saw an ad for an 'incognito coop' that attaches to your house & looks like a small garden shed. It will only hold a couple, but it might be better than nothing.
    I'll have to see if I can find a link for it.

5. gordonburrito

gordonburrito Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    Mid-Missouri
    If you already have a fence (chain link), you could always plant a row of evergreen shrubs. They will eventually grow up and into each other and provide a complete visual barrier that will complement the fence.

6. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:I do this. I find it depends on the rooster. Some are dumb enough it works and some will crow in a bag in a box in a cupboard, in a closet...at 2am. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  7. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    If your neighbor is running a hostel, does she need eggs for breakfast?
    I live in the City but 4 hens are legal here.

8. Meara

Meara Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Midwest
    Egg bribery!

9. HaikuHeritageFarm

Jul 7, 2010
    Anchorage, AK
    Quote:LOL, I might be able to put it up on the bulletin board or something. It's a very large hostel, three stories. The biggest one in the state, actually! Definitely not like someone's getting up in the morning and cooking breakfast for the guests!

It's an odd area. We also have a homeless shelter and soup kitchen within a few blocks. Then, on the other side there's all kinds of yuppie hair salons and fancy restaurants. If I had more space and could have 20 or so hens, I could sell all the eggs I produced for $6 a dozen, easy! And rabbit meat, too. But I don't want people causing mischief and "saving" my animals from their lives of cooped misery. The hostel crowd, especially in the summer, is very much the kind that I would have to worry about.

I think I found a good corner of the yard where I can put a coop with a roofed run behind my greenhouse. It backs up on one side to a privacy fence, blocked from the road on the other by the greenhouse, and I could plant something or otherwise shield it from the neighbors at back, so I think it will work out. I'll just have to be careful about loud layers.

I had some Dels that squawked and bawked louder than all five of my roosters when I lived in the Valley!

Anything I put in will have to be non-permanent as we are renting, but we're allowed "pets". [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by