Downtown Chickens

krazee4chicks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 25, 2014
Hi, I'm Kimberlee, and my family and I are relatively new to chickens.

Here is our introduction to give y'all a little background about ourselves and our experience (or rather, lack thereof):

1. Are we new to chickens / when did we get our first chickens?

We are relatively new to chickens. We purchased our first day-old chicks about 4-years ago.

2. How many chickens do you have right now?

Currently, we only have two; however, we used to have twelve and added another rescue chicken that we found wandering the streets in our downtown neighborhood.

3. What breeds do you have?

Currently, we have (1) Lavender Orpington and (1) Sex Link. However, we used to have the following breeds as well: Jersey Giant, Australorp, Easter Egger, Barred Rock, and Speckled Sussex.

4. How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?

We discovered BYC.com while doing our original research about breeds and care. Honestly, I've never posted on a forum like this, so I didn't really know how to post on it.

5. What are some of your other hobbies?

We are active with the Cub Scouts, and we enjoy movies, learning new things, exploring, traveling and rescuing animals!

6. Tell us about your family, other pets, occupation, or other?

We are an active duty military family, who had lived abroad for four years in Germany, which was AMAZING! We have four rescue dogs -- one of whom is becoming a service dog for our son -- so, I guess I should have added that to our hobbies, too! I am a former sommelier, turned military spouse and entrepreneur, and my husband is still active duty with the US Air Force.

7. About our urban chickens, etc.?

After doing our initial research into breeds and care, we decided to purchase a coop plan that was suitable for a dozen hens. We bought day-old chicks -- SO STINKIN' CUTE -- and raised them in our bedroom. When they were old enough, we moved them to their outside coop and fed them organic feed, built an automatic waterer and feeders, and enjoyed more eggs than we could eat (and I eat about 4 per day). Over the past 4-years, we lost most of them to various tragedies, but I have no interest in culling older hens who no longer lay. We also fed them our organic compost scraps and set up a BSFL compost bin, so we had a wonderful little ecosystem.

Now, we are interested in replenishing our flock, and perhaps adding a rooster? However, before we do so, I want to educate myself about the various illnesses that are common, as well as how to prevent and treat them.

G’Day from down under Kimberlee :frow Nice to meet you!

I am pleased you delurked and hope you enjoy being an active BYC member. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun.

Including your general location on your profile will assist others. Location, climate, season etc can be important factors when members are responding to any questions you may have and vice versa.

You might want to also Find Your State Thread and pop in and say hello.

BYC has Topic of the Week discussions which I have found to be a great resource, informative and sometimes entertaining; so definitely worth checking out. These may be of particular interest to you:
Topic of the Week - Integrating Chicks into an Adult Flock
Topic of the Week - Adding New Chickens to the Flock
Topic of the Week - Roosters, Yes or No?
Topic of the Week - Adding a Rooster to the Flock

If you would like to share Pictures and Stories of your flock, you have come to the right place. BYC’ers never tire of these and do not back away slowly or commence eye rolling when the photo album or home videos come out ;)

Back
Top Bottom