Dowsing for egg sex-to-be

Had it been me doing this test, I would have had two bators running. Put those suppose females in one and the males in the other. You have hatched all your eggs that without losing any hens if that was all you wanted. And would have put the infertile ones too.

Quote:
Most people hold their finger under the chicks head and hold them up that way, or flip the chick on its back. Either way, the one that fights is supposed to be the roo, the calm one the hen.

I am also doing the experiment right now. I had a silkie go broody and took 2 ee eggs and her egg from the day before and put under her. I only used ones that tested female. If I get roos, I'll know it doesn't work.

PS: The pendulum test is usually done a little differently. If it swings in a circle over the egg or chick, thats female. If it swings back and forth in a straight line, that's male.

Quote:
All I wanted in this batch was 25 (hens, ideally), which I have in the one bator. Since I also have a deep cycle battery backup specifically for them, 1 setup is enough (3 12V DC batts, 1 inverter, 1 bator, 1 turner).
Never know when the power will go off, or for how long!
Last year we were out for nearly a week. With 2 setups, it would strain the existing system and they may all get flushed . . .

Quote:
That is probably true; I've always dowsed by asking to be shown "yes" & "no", and then asking Y/N questions.
That's one of the great aspects of the art, personalizing your technique to yourself. People who try to conform to others' habits often find they get "wrong" results. what actually happens is that they never asked to be shown what works in their own Inner Guidance language. Some end up clockwise / ccwise, for yes-no, or male-female.

Quote:
Mostly RIR with a couple Buff Orps, a mixed (white hen, green eggs), & a mixed Australope.
Dads are big- Brahma mixes, I believe; see my "REX" Thread under Breeds!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=109514

check
outthis thread.

OH just pick up the eggs with your lelf hand, chick will be a hen, if you pick them up with your right hand chick will be a male.

Thats why you get more males.most people are right hand.

lau.gif

Think about it, if there was away, why would the large hatchery. not use it,rather than hatch all the cockerel.

Quote:
Thanks for your comment
roll.png

I have thought about it.
Think about this:
If they could sex the eggs, and could guarantee even 85% accuracy, the demand for hens would skyrocket and cockerels would drop.
So much, that they'd have a glut of unsellable cockerel eggs.
Besides, the man-hours and payroll to employ dowsers to sex the eggs would be outrageous.

As you can see, deerman, even if it would be a successful way to sex the eggs, the money trail would not follow that route.

Never having said it would work, I'll just ask again if others have tried this technique, and if they've had any success.

Some people were afraid to sail off the edge of the world. Those who argued for a round earth were persecuted . . .

Quote:
Thanks for your comment
roll.png

I have thought about it.
Think about this:
If they could sex the eggs, and could guarantee even 85% accuracy, the demand for hens would skyrocket and cockerels would drop.
So much, that they'd have a glut of unsellable cockerel eggs.
Besides, the man-hours and payroll to employ dowsers to sex the eggs would be outrageous.

As you can see, deerman, even if it would be a successful way to sex the eggs, the money trail would not follow that route.

Never having said it would work, I'll just ask again if others have tried this technique, and if they've had any success.

Some people were afraid to sail off the edge of the world. Those who argued for a round earth were persecuted . . .

For real they pay people to vent sex chicks, takes more time than your way of sexing a egg.

They have a surplus of cockerel now,even use them as packing peanuts.

If you could sex eggs . cockerel eggs sell for food pullet eggs sell to hatch.

Just buy the pullet dust and put on the eggs.

Know you ask if people have try this, yes for hundreds of years. Odds you will be 50% right Truth is no it doesnt work. No more than which hand you use to pick the egg from the nest.

Try the hand thing see if you dont get good odds, same odds.

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you for those pearls of wisdom! What a unique way to start a New Year!

lol.png
roll.png
lol.png

Backing away from the thread drift, I'm still looking forward to hearing intelligent responses of other members' experiences - Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom