Doxycycline dose

JensChickies

Songster
10 Years
Mar 26, 2014
California
Hey guys, I have searched threads for doxycycline dose, but can only find dosing for packets in water.

I have doxycycline 100mg tablets (fish dox). About how much for a 4lb hen?

Thank you!

I have seen doxycycline dosage for chickens as 20-25 mg per Kg (each 2.2 pounds of weight,) as a daily dosage. So if you gave 1/4 tablet daily, that would probably be close. You could then divide that 1/4 tablet into 2 divided doses to be given in the morning and in the evening. I would mix it into a treat they will surely eat. Can you post a picture of the label of your product?

Edited to add that you should give 1/8 a tablet per pound daily, not 1/4. So give 1/2 tablet daily in 2 divide doses ( 1/4 tablet in the morning and 1/4 tablet in the evening.) That would be about 10-12 mg per pound daily.

Last edited:
I have seen doxycycline dosage for chickens as 20-25 mg per Kg (each 2.2 pounds of weight,) as a daily dosage. So if you gave 1/4 tablet daily, that would probably be close. You could then divide that 1/4 tablet into 2 divided doses to be given in the morning and in the evening. I would mix it into a treat they will surely eat. Can you post a picture of the label of your product?

Edited to add that you should 1/8 a tablet daily, not 1/4. That would be about 10-12 mg per pound daily.

Hey! Thank u for the response. Here are the pics
Screenshot_20190826-120012_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20190826-115954_Samsung Internet.jpg

Well, hopefully I won't confuse you more, but to clarify, give 1/8 tablet per pound daily, so that would be 1/2 tablet daily in 2 divided doses. Please answer this post if you get it.

Ok..yes. 1/4 tab AM and a 1/4 tab PM. She gets a total 1/2 tab daily.

If she makes it, how long would you recommend taking them? 7 days?

5-7 days. Sorry for my lack of math skills. I hope that she improves.

Oh no your absolutely fine. They are way better than my math skills. That's why I always come here to help me calc doses. Thank you for your help. I hope she does, but its doesn't look promising.

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

I think I have noticed that one of you have said it's OK to give 1 250mg Amoxicillin dose per day instead of 2 125mg.

Could you do the same with Doxy 100mg capsules??

I didn't want to start a new Doxy thread so I just tagged onto this one.

Back
Top Bottom