DP + CX / Gov.regs. = -$

eggbuster

Songster
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
My first season of raising DP and Cx is at an end. The results are in. Sorry if some of this post is in the wrong section.

I started with 67 white chanteclers, 25 partridge plymouth rocks, 25 buckeyes and 50 Cx. I did not lose a single CHICK of any variety and all were fed my own feed mix and free ranged.

-hatched 10 additional chanties and culled 1 for spraddle leg.
-Traded 8 chanty pullets and 1 rooster for 2 large black pure-bred weaner pigs. One of these pullets won reserve grand champion for breed at a chantecler show after a 5 day road trip. (500 entries) and these were my culls.
-sold an additional 6 chantecler culls
-processed 17 additional chanty roosters
-kept the rest as layers and for future stockers

Out of 25 buckeyes, 15 left home and are roaming in the woods and 3 roosters and 7 hens agreed to stay and be my experimental flock. I am observing the runaways to see how they fare.

Out of 25 partridge plymouth rocks the neighbours dog killed 22 and 2 pullets and 1 rooster escaped to try again next year. (that problem has been dealt with so please, no comments)

The processing results;

17 chanty roosters processed at 16 weeks = 3 @ about 3 lbs, 5 @ about 5.5 lbs and the rest ranged around 4.5 lbs
23 mixed run Cx processed at 8 weeks = 1 @ about 3 lbs, 4 @ about 5 lbs and the rest around 6lbs.

It is illegal for me too sell poultry not processed at a government facility and I have to say I lost my shirt on this part of the operation. 3 weeks ago, the chanties cost me about $5.00 per bird after fees & taxes and today, the cost for the CX went up to over $6.00 per bird. I have to pay extra to keep the giblets that I thought I owned and cannot have back if I don't pay for them. If I add the cost of feed, lets say $8.00 per bird + the $1.20 to buy the CX, its over $14.00 in costs so the price per lb to make a profit makes for a pretty expensive chicken. The other gripe I have is that many of the chickens came back damaged and therefore its hard to charge a premium price. There is only one processor so I don't have the option of taking my business elsewhere.

I am keeping back 6 Cx pullets and 1 roo for breeding to my chanteclers and buckeyes so that I don't have to buy from a hatchery which involves the government tracking them and imposing even more rules. Technically I am supposed to butcher and sell all my Cx in the calendar year in which they were purchased. No one keeps track of the DP so I think that it gives me more options if I avoid the hatcheries and sell live. I also believe that the chanteclers have a lot of potential to grow fairly well to a decent size if fed a higher protein feed then the standard commercial feeds. I am looking forward to next years crop.

On a side note, I must be one of the rare ones that like Cx. They have personalities, don't stink, and the vast majority were fairly active. I was complemented by the inspector that they were very healthy looking, well feathered/no bald spots and I didn't have to give them a bath before I brought them. ( I didn't ) I am thinking that soy might be part of the problem as I don't feed it and I didn't have a single issue with them.

Good info but my goodness, we get charged $2.00 a bird and they will cut them anyway you want and give you all the rest of the bird back in seperate bags because some people make fish bait with the guts. And make broth out of the rest of the bird.

Quote:
My feed mix is red wheat, boss, peas, whole corn for adults and cracked for chicks, kelp. This is put out free choice in communal pans for the chickens, turkeys and geese and the dog likes it too and prefers it to dog food. Additional protein is supplied in the form of clabbered raw milk in a communal pan. I am over flowing with cream as well and I let it sour and then dump it in a rut far far away, and there are a number of them that make a daily run for sour cream in preference to clabbered milk. Mouldy butter is a particular favourite with turkeys. Its interesting that they self regulate the fats and don't overdo.

Note: there is no food in the coops for anyone since they are only in there to sleep or lay.

I do have some hens that don't like dairy at all, and they are doing just fine on the feed mix. Everyone is free range morning till night. Will add flax to the feed when the pastures freeze up and they can scrounge alfalfa from the cows.

Ate a mangled Cx for dinner last night and it had a really nice flavour.

Quote:
Yes, Do you want both the chanties and the Cx or just one in particular? It may take a day or so as I am swamped at the moment, and my house is under reno. so I need to find where the disc of the live ones is buried.

Quote:
Yes, Do you want both the chanties and the Cx or just one in particular? It may take a day or so as I am swamped at the moment, and my house is under reno. so I need to find where the disc of the live ones is buried.

If you have pictures of both that would be great. I am in no rush.

Thanks
OSUman

Back
Top Bottom