DR Brush Mower --

We bought a Ford 8N tractor for $1,100, and after my DH has worked on it several times and done a LOT of work on it, it finally runs pretty good. We've put at least another $400 into fixing it. It has been down more than it's been up. Meanwhile, we still had tall weeds, big fields, and brush that HAD to be mowed. The DR has NEVER been down, at all, not once, in 15 years. There are areas a person can't drive into with a tractor, and areas you might turn a tractor over in, that you can get into pretty easily with the DR mower. I'm not saying that you don't need a tractor, I'm just saying if you have narrow places, steep hills, slopes that may have hidden holes or soft spots, it's not a bad idea to have a mower you walk behind to deal with those areas. It's a lot less likely to turn over, and it you did manage to flip it over, unless you were really determined to operate it in an incredibly dangerous manner, you would not end up underneath it.

I'd really encourage you to just rent one once, and try it out. Then you'll have a much better idea just what they can do. Older tractors are cool, but they very often take a lot of money and work to keep running.

Quote:
Yeah, not the same machine at all. That's more a glorified weed-whacker, on wheels. Not for heavy brush and saplings. Though it does have a metal blade like a circular saw available for cutting heavier stuff.

Okay Boyd. Promised pictures here they are.

First picture is the extreme rear of my property to the south of the canal. This show just about how thick, thick can get. Other than the obviously large trees, I would bail off into there with front end loader down. Knock it all down then make a pass or two with the hog.

34316_img00043-20100712-1520.jpg

Second pic is front of property looking east through the pecan grove and pine thicket. Picture #1 is 1/4 of a mile east.

34316_img00046-20100712-1524.jpg

Third picture is looking east on the north side of the canal. Pecan grove is to the right, house is to the left. The canal is that strip of what looks like overgrown vibrant green weeds.
34316_img00047-20100712-1524.jpg

Still looking east, pecan grove is to the rear, pine grove is on the right, canal is to the immediate left. Ahead to the right across the small bridge, is what I call the "nature conservatory". 3 acres of untouched forest.
34316_img00048-20100712-1547.jpg

Some of the oine thickets. Front to back. All planted by me. How many--- thousands!
34316_img00041-20100712-1519.jpg

34316_img00038-20100712-1518.jpg

34316_img00039-20100712-1518.jpg

34316_img00040-20100712-1518.jpg

OKay still headed to the rear (east) I built this road from terrain much as what you see in #1 Picture. the nature conservatory is to the left across the canal, pine thickets are all to the right rear.
34316_img00042-20100712-1519.jpg

No been to the back, headed back west, nature conservatory is to the right across the small bridge, pine thickets are to the left. House is across bridge several hundred yards forward.

34316_img00044-20100712-1522.jpg

Tractors!

1986 I bought a Ford 8N, started working the place. The tractor required two days of repair for everyday of use. ($1000)

1988 Got a gas burning Ford 2000, strong as a bull, heavy as a tank, absolutely made of IRON! But single speed rear end, no power steering. And yes I got it down in the bottom of the canal one day. Four days later me, three neighbor's tractors and a huge wrecker got it out. ($2800)

1998 Yanmar 2000, small & light, but cheap to run, strong as a bantam rooster. Really for a 20hp tractor it was the pip. ($4500)

2010 Kubota L3400, front end loader, 4wd, hydrostatic transmission, R4 tires--- all I can say is my ship has come in. If I would have had something like this 20 years ago, I would have a whole lot less fewer scars. (I ain't sayin how much cause it scares me).

But the point is if I would have went for the big one first I would have saved all the other money I spent on the other tractors. Not to mention the work I did accomplish would have been done quicker, easier, safer and cheaper.

Also something to think about-- touching for a moment on safety. DON"T GET A TRACTOR THAT IS NOT EQUIPPED WITH A ROP (roll over protection) SYSTEM. That 9N unless it is some sort of add on, does not have a ROPS.

Quote:
Wow thanks for the Pics!!!!!!! Any tractor I get will have a roll cage of some sort... I used to have a smaller John Deere when I lived in Linden and it was equipped... it prolly saved me a busted head many a times
smile.png

PS I'm drooling, how much property u have there

I have rented the DR Bushog mower with the steel blades twice. It works well. Gives you a work out by the end of the day. Cuts brush and small sapplings easily. I used it to cut narrow trails through the woods.

I would rent one first and see how you like it.

Happy hunting!

Boyd, We bought a DR All terrain mower 10 years ago when we bought our property. Didn't have the money or the space to store a tractor and attachments. We used it to clear mulberry, buckhtorn, wild cherry and box elder saplings and minions of multi-flora rose brambles from around the large oaks and hickories. After about a year, we switched to mowing the majority of the property with a lawn tractor. We still have the DR and it never fails to start (sometimes needs a jump) no matter how long it may sit between uses. My DH is not mechanically inclined and yet and has ordered parts and replaced belts, clutch cables, etc without problems. Rent it for a day and see what you think. I'd say ours was definitely worth every penny we paid for it.

Point I was trying to make when reffering to tractor------

A Dr Brush mower cuts brush that's what it does, that's all it does, everyday, any day, it cuts brush, cuts brush real good, very dependable, but it only cuts brush.

A tractor can cut brush, maybe not as good as a DR, but it can cut brush, any day. It can also make a garden, cut grass, bush hog, grade a driveway, haul dirt, fill holes, tow your truck, car, pull stumps and fence, lift and carry things. All manner of farm work that needs to be done.

Cutting brush is not the only thing that needs to be done on rural property. Like most of you guys here, I ain't made of money, so while a DR Brush cutter maybe less expensive then a tractor it is a singular piece of equipment. You buy a DR then you have to get a lawn mower, then you still need a tractor for the heavy work, snow blower for snow removal, whatever. So while a tractor is a compromise in the singular subject of cutting brush, it does so much more that is required done. so what is the better tool, and what is cheaper?

My vote is ----

If you are in a hurry and budget stretched-- rent a DR to get things started. Save for a tractor, get a tractor that will do all the jobs.

Back
Top Bottom