Dr Earth "Food Grade" Kelp ok for hens?

It's often fed to goats as a mineral source but I have never known of anyone feeding it to chickens. I guess I didn't read the label -- it does say chickens! I have used this for goats but didn't really notice a benefit. They do like it, though.
https://www.agriorganics.com/

1634131443901.png

It's often fed to goats as a mineral source but I have never known of anyone feeding it to chickens. I guess I didn't read the label -- it does say chickens! I have used this for goats but didn't really notice a benefit. They do like it, though.
https://www.agriorganics.com/

View attachment 2864433

Now, if I had a known nutritional deficiency in my flock, I could use a page from an MFG like this to try and correct it - and you can be [explicative] sure I would pick an MFG making a disclosure like this, so I could at least pretend I knew what I was doing, before randomly throwing in some measure of product from a company whose nutritional disclosure is:

It features vitamins, minerals and amino acids for a healthy immune system, improved feather appearance and increased weight gain. And when adding it to their daily feed, this supplement can also help boost egg production, achieve high-quality eggs with bright orange yolks and increase hatchability! And you can feel good knowing that it’s made by poultry experts and is safe for day old chicks, ducklings and even goslings, too. It even contains prebiotics to help encourage good bacteria in the gut for healthy digestion. Feed it as directed to give your chickens and ducks a boost of calcium, copper, folate, iodine, iron, magnesium, manganese, riboflavin, vitamin K and zinc!

I’ve been reading up on Kelp for a work project. While not a complete food, it’s got some interesting minerals, a bit of protein, and some calcium.

If I could get my hands on it, I’d actually consider feeding it “wet”, not dried, as a “greenery” supplement when forage isn’t available.

Kelp can do some really interesting stuff from an environment standpoint - it grows fast, sequesters carbon, de-acidified oceans, and studies suggest that feeding small amounts to cows and sheep reduce methane production significantly (60-80%).

I have no idea why you would assume the other product is "full of additives" (whatever else it is, that does not appear to be the case, in fact it claims to be organic...), but equally importantly, I have no idea why you think feeding the stuff your recommended would be beneficial to your birds?

They claim its high in vitamins, but offer no quantities, it has no niacin, and tons of salt. Moreover, if its high in calcium as they claim (and many kelp species are relatively high calcium compared to other plants), that's a health risk to your hatchlings and juveniles, your roosters, and your low production hens...

View attachment 2864422
The product advertised has other ingredients listed would make me weary. It specific for plant use. It's on their site https://drearth.com/product/dr-earth-premium-organic-kelp-meal/

The product advertised has other ingredients listed would make me weary. It specific for plant use. It's on their site https://drearth.com/product/dr-earth-premium-organic-kelp-meal/
Yes, I linked its contents here, on the first page of this thread. And that it was intended for use int he garden.

Without knowing more about those glittering non-specific words they use, its impossible to draw any reasonable conclusions. "Contains Dirt" is about as useful, end equally non-threatening - or concerning - as your natural inclination tends.

I don't know how I made an assessment on what being natural? The person wants to fees chickens plant food. They clearly add organic additives as such intended for plants . The other link is sold specifically for poultry. My assumption is that they assumed that Dr.Earths Kelp (Food Grade didn't exist) meal was safe to use for a chickens? No I personally wouldn't add plant feed to my chickens diet. I then posted a link to a product specific for poultry as probably a better choice. Now as far as Kelp producing claims for a healthier bird I don't know never went in to it that far. Anyway do not buy plant food and feed it to you chickens.

Back
Top Bottom