Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde bird

You don't have a rooster, you have a cockerel and he is showing a lot of very bad signs. My worst roosters were raised without older birds, with just flock mates. With just flock mates, they become sexually active long before the pullets are ready. They are often bigger and considerably more aggressive. They can make pullet's lives hell.

This forum is full of stories where the darling becomes the nightmare. A lot of the problems is people want to treat them like kittens and puppies, where as if you are nice and friendly, they will become that way too. Chicken society does not work that way.

When you are holding your rooster and petting him, you are both seeing this from a different point of view:
  • You see it as being friendly, calming him down,
  • He sees it, as you are preening him, because he is superior
  • When he bites you, he is reprimanding you
Right now, he is small and cute, but most inexperienced people vastly underestimate the violence of a rooster. If you have small children, they will be attacked first, and often in the face.

When inexperienced people start to see this behavior, they tend to look for ways to train this out of him. He has a brain the size of a walnut, and is mostly guided by hormones. There will be many suggestions, but most do not work well, and do not work all the time.

People often times try to find excuses for this behavior, like they wore red shoes, or touched a favorite hen. This is not true. Roosters are a crap shoot, when you get a good one, he is a treasure, but a lot of them should be culled.

A lot of roosters have ruined the whole chicken experience for a whole lot of people. He has a long list of faults, he would be in my grow out pen to be culled.

AArt says, "Roosters are were the romance of keeping chickens meets reality." Not every bird will work in your coop/run. Sometimes a hen won't work, but not as often.

Mrs K

He has a brain the size of a walnut, and is mostly guided by hormones.

His testicles are not only larger than his brain, they're as big as his entire head.

This photo was from a 20-week cockerel I culled. (For those who haven't seen the insides of a chicken before, the whitish things in the middle of the plate just above the feet are the testicles).

0222221139-jpg.3001731

Back
Top Bottom