Dr Jekyll Mr Hyde bird

Roseynose

Songster
Apr 7, 2022
Are sudden behavior changes normal? So suddenly my 9 week old sweet little cuddly roo decided to act like a crazy testosterone raging angry bird. He is trying to crow (which is hilarious) he started pecking and plucking the pullets feathers, dive bombing them from the roost bar, and he runs at them screeching. He even tried to peck and scratch me, I separated him from the rest and he stamps around, screeches, picked up a feather from the ground and shook it around like a dog trying to kill his pray. What the heck!? I put him back with the girls he tried attacking them again so threw in some peas and dried bugs to distract him. now they are in the coop and he is being good and cuddling with them. What should I do when this happens? Should I intervene? Is this a temporary thing? Is this normal? He was so sweet before.

I made that mistake, too, because I didn't know mine was male for months. He's pretty awful now towards ONLY me. Luckily, he's really tiny and can't hurt me. I have another cockerel now. I've been hands off with him. We'll see if that helps.

He did get a bit better with age, but not enough to make my life with him easier.

When we first started our flock several years ago, we knowingly ordered one male, and we ordered some of an exhibition line from the same place (straight run), along with sexed females for egg layers. Turns out we got the one male we ordered, one accidental male EE, and two males in the straight run. So, we culled the 3 males we did not want (we sold them), and kept the one male we had ordered and wanted. They were all the same age. That male was aggressive, and we ended up getting rid of him the following year. Now that we have multi generational flock, the older hens teach the younger males a few things and provide reprimands. The males have all been better behaved overall, but we sometimes get one that tests the waters. It is very useful to not coddle the males and to walk “through” him. Treats: yes, they definitely like to be the ones that tidbit.

Your male is young. Hormones are discombobulating him. He may never be a well behaved male, but right now he’s immature. If you can find him a hone, then raising up the girls this year and adding a male later night work better. If you keep him and he remains aggressive, you will have some risk unless you pen him up so he cannot injure a visitor or child.

This is them last week when they got along and they just got introduced to the new coop. He is a tiny bird.
IMG_20220511_160135103_HDR.jpg

The fact that he is a pet must remain your secret, he must think he is a rooster. Especially, so especially, right now when he is in the middle of his first spring and doesn't know what's going on, therefore everything is potentially a perceived threat. Try not to handle him as much, and just work on establishing boundaries, which is respect for him as a protector, for the time being.

One thing I found is that the rooster likes to be the one offering the hens treats. He may in fact see you as a potential threat if you are "tidbitting" for the girls. Offer him the food first, by dropping it, not hand-feeding, and let him show the hens what he found.

Do they have plenty of room to get around, do the hens have places they can perch or hide from him until you determine if he is going to be an asset to your flock?

This is them last week when they got along and they just got introduced to the new coop. He is a tiny bird.
View attachment 3123323
He sure is cute. I hope you can establish boundaries with him. He may calm down after the initial hormone rush ends. My guy has a little, but he still goes after me sometimes. Mine weighs all of 1 lb, so he sometimes tries to flap against my ankle. But he can't hurt me at all. If he were a big rooster, he would have been gone a loooong time ago. I should have rehomed this rooster, but I couldn't find anyone to take him. And I feel partly responsible for his awful behavior.

The fact that he is a pet must remain your secret, he must think he is a rooster. Especially, so especially, right now when he is in the middle of his first spring and doesn't know what's going on, therefore everything is potentially a perceived threat. Try not to handle him as much, and just work on establishing boundaries, which is respect for him as a protector, for the time being.

One thing I found is that the rooster likes to be the one offering the hens treats. He may in fact see you as a potential threat if you are "tidbitting" for the girls. Offer him the food first, by dropping it, not hand-feeding, and let him show the hens what he found.

Do they have plenty of room to get around, do the hens have places they can perch or hide from him until you determine if he is going to be an asset to your flock?
Yes they have a good amount of room and a few roosting bars in the coop and in the run. The pullets like to hide under the coop or hop on the high bars in the run when he's being a meanie. But I will try what you said with not hand feeding them. And handling him less.

Back
Top Bottom