Drafty Coop

My chickens are in a metal shed with a few bales of straw in the winter.Anything solid to block the weather should be good.

If your winters don't get terribly cold, I do think the corrugated clear panels would work great for you. They are used for greenhouses as well and are great for letting light in but not allowing heat to get trapped and cause overheating.

You're in Mississippi? I'm in Alabama, and mine did fine last winter in an entirely wire coop. We wrapped heavy plastic around three sides, with a space left open on the top of the sides for more ventilation. We had unusual snows, too, and the chickens were happy.

The main thing is to make sure the roost level is enclosed on three sides, so wind can't blow across them while they sleep. Ventilation is just as important - when they're inside a lot, moisture and ammonia will build up.

Solid plastic sheets would be neater and less likely to tear in the wind, just don't go overboard and cut down the ventilation! It's been colder, but it's not Alaska yet
wink.png

Quote:
Good to know ill put that corrugated plastic on the sides where they roost to keep the wind off them thanks for the feedback!

Back
Top Bottom