Drafty Snap Lock chicken coop

This the coop after taping the worst seams. In the first picture the vents are closed, the second shows vents open. It is under our deck on the east side of the house. My husband thinks vents should be closed with only the little holes under the roof line for ventilation.
1E2B3AA3-46D9-4E8C-B290-71E89E9A79F2.jpeg
4BFB3721-ACB0-4DF9-AF2B-22C0F861497D.jpeg

Don’t close the vents! They really, really need ventilation. If you were asking about building a coop, the most knowledgeable people here recommend 1 sq ft per chicken. (Correct me if I’m wrong, @aart )

Search the articles here and offer a couple on ventilation for your DH to read.

The short story is, their down and feathers keep them plenty warm. A buildup of humidity and ammonia inside (when there’s inadequate ventilation) cause frostbite and respiratory illness.

Our weather usually come from the west or southwest so location is protected from that. Wondering if I should put it on the ground for insulation but that makes it potentially more vulnerable to predators although the back yard has a 6’ fence around it.

Covered it in feed bags and put some straw bales around the bottom for wind protection. Put a cozy coop heat plate inside. Brought the seramas indoors at night when temperatures were below freezing.

Back
Top Bottom