Drain in a Kiddie Pool???

tia

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Valdez, Alaska
Has anyone put a drain in a Kiddie Pool - if so would you please share how you did it. I was going to try to drill a hole - but thought someone else might have done it before and have some suggestions. I was afraid that the pool would crack.

I have the same question....I'm thinking utility knife to keep it from cracking and silicone to seal everything up...

?
pop.gif

Thankx!
thumbsup.gif

My DH is planning to do this soon. He is going to use a laminate hole saw for the drill and food grade silicone. He says the pool will have sit on a large piece of scrap plywood so it doesn't crack as he is drilling, I'm not clear on how he plans to keep it in place while he's drilling. He also has an elaborate pipe system planned for the gray water recycling from the duck pool. Duck water has great fertilizer in it. I was just going to use a soldering iron to start the hole and utility knife to finish, but he doesn't like the smell from the burnt plastic.

there are a ton of these posts looking for kiddie pool drains.

I did the kiddie pool thing and found it just too much to keep up with. -We only have two ducks and i know some of you out there have some many more!
I ended up building a pump and filter contraption to keep up with the ducks.

I went from having a -super completely- disgusting kiddie pool every week - to have a nice pond that requires minimal effort.
It also makes the yard a ton better because the water actually stays CLEAR(!) rather than the constant black pool we all know and loathe.

I have a pump that pushes 700 gallons per hour.
I pump the duck water into the top of a trash can that's fitted with some fine grain furnace filters.
Screen door material is the first layer and it catches the big stuff that lands on top. - the pump has no problem with pushing 1/4inch material through a 1/2 in.pipe.
The water follows gravity down to the next layer in the trash can through the furnace filters where a lot of the poops and dirt get filtered out.

At the bottom of the can is a 9" reservoir that allows the sediment to collect and not return to the pond/pool.

I can get away with cleaning it about every 6 weeks.
It takes maybee 30 minutes to clean the filters, but if you spray them out over a catch basin, you've got a bunch of real nice super fertilizer that the plants just love!

It's really neat and has improved my life a ton and i'd like to think the birds appreciate clean water.
They get in there an splash and bathe and just love the pond.
When the splash about and stir up all the sediment - it's a good thing because all those particles at the bottom will now find their way through the pump and filter and get cleaned out of your pond.
I'd say our pond is about 150 gallons and it clear within 15 minutes of the boys getting out.

If enough people are interested.. perhaps i'll write a how-to tutorial or post some pics.
interested?

Great idea. Is this similar to a 2 part salt water, fish tank filter set up? I'm kind of a pack rat and took it when someone was getting rid of their 100 gallon salt water tank. What I spent in electricity I would save in water cost (I think electricity is cheaper then water). It sounds a lot easier on a daily basis than my plan.

A rotary cutter aka Dremel Tool is best for cutting a hole into a kiddie pool. A zig zag saw only works with a very fine tooth blade. Utility knife is some work. Hole cutting blade in drill will work, but you need a block of wood below and you have to stand on the pool. All other parts can be found in the plumbing department of the hardware store.
Katharina

Once it stops raining here in Portland (does it ever?), i'll post some plans on a how to build a pumped filter.

I'd would highly advise a pump and filter.
Not only is it good for your back, it's good for the environment!

Unless you're catching rainwater, by dumping a kiddie pool a few times a week, you're unnecessarily dumping those 60-200 gallons fresh treated water.

I use a kiddie pool to grow my peppers without fighting Bermuda grass. I cut the drainage holes with a paddle bit.

Back
Top Bottom