Drained a Hen's Abdomen.. Rest in Peace, Olivia 11-5-10

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by speckledhen, Jun 21, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Thank you, Darlene.

2. 4 luv of eggs

4 luv of eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I am so sorry to hear this. It must be dreadful waiting for the next shoe to drop. I hope that Olivia will be the last with this disease and the others will be a pleasant suprise. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

Update on Olivia:
    After we drained that last almost 400 cc from her abdomen, we waited. It felt like we could do much more, but the fluid quit flowing and we quit. A couple weeks ago, I picked her up and to my amazement, her abdomen had continued to get smaller and was almost back to its normal size! Guess her body absorbed or otherwise rid itself of that yucky green fluid on its own, but why now, after we drained her three other times and her abdomen quickly filled up again, even larger than before? I actually saw her running across the yard yesterday. Her eyes are bright, her energy is up and her color is good. No eggs, of course, and I'm sure her oviducts are full of solid stuff, but for now, she is much, much better. Here is a pic I took of her today with my new camera-isn't she just precious?

[​IMG]

4. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Eyes are bright to, and she has that impish look to her, too. Is she an orp?

5. speckledhen

She is very far from an Orp. Her sire was an elderly Cochin/Silkie cross and her mama was a Barred Rock.

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Well....thats some combination!

7. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Very Very VERY nice to hear. Sounds like a STRONG Lymphatic system . Hope shes back to normal for a long time [​IMG]

8. speckledhen

Yep, it is. Her two lookalike sisters have already passed on, first Kate from crop stasis, then recently, Tux, from what appeared to be a stroke-at least those were the symptoms. Olivia will be four years old in January-she hatched with Suede.

9. ruth

ruth Life is a Journey

Jul 8, 2007
    Woodville, MS
    She looks good and looks like she feels well. Here's hoping and praying she stays that way for a long, long time.

10. BayouPoules

BayouPoules Chillin' With My Peeps

Hooray for Olivia!
    It's so encouraging to hear success stories!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by