Drained a Hen's Abdomen.. Rest in Peace, Olivia 11-5-10

Pics
hugs.gif
I'm sorry to hear she has passed. She was well loved and went a happy bird I imagine. You gave her a spectacular life while she was here, and you'll always have her chicken scratch in your heart
smile.png

Awww Cyn,

So sorry to hear of your sweet girls' passing, perhaps this last one died of a broken heart, missing her sisters so much.

Please take good care of you and Tom while you grieve the losses of the sisters.

hugs.gif

I am so sorry to hear about your hens.
I seem to be reading about this condition all too often.
Is this part of being egg-bound?
Is there anything one can do to prevent internal laying?

Also, what the initial symptoms so we can diagnose it earlier?

Thanks in advance,
Carrie Lynn

Last edited:
This is completely different from being egg bound. Sometimes you can fix egg binding since the egg is in the oviduct and maybe can be eased out, but internal laying is something that is beyond our help. It is genetic/hormone-related and most prevalent in common hatchery breeds like the RIR, Production Red, Sex links, Wyandottes, Buff Orpingtons, Rocks, just any of the most common/popular ones sold by the big hatcheries. Ones no one expects to be an egg-a-day layer for her entire first two years would most likely do better, like Brahmas. My two, though hatchery stock, have so far been trouble free.

Pick birds who are not high production type breeds like are the most common hatchery birds. That is no guarantee, but it will probably plague your flock less often buying from a breeder rather than a hatchery.

Signs. Hmm. Going on the nest often, but producing no egg, straining on the nest, then later, just ignoring the nest. Finally, the bird will begin to lose weight drastically even though she is eating well. Her abdomen may not even be swollen--many of mine were not, so there was no way to palpate anything amiss, like we could with Olivia. Then they become very weak and eventually will die if you don't euthanize them. I've just seen it so much I am suspicious when a hen goes to the nest but gets off without laying. I spot check abdomens from time to time now, but if the bird isn't holding fluid, that won't help much in diagnosis.

Tim, not sure exactly what you mean by mushy. The abdomen shouldn't be hard to the touch at all. If it is, like with the Del I lost, you know something is terribly wrong. If filling with fluid, the abdomen will become bulbous and like a water balloon filling up in the sink.

Everyone seems fine just not laying. I'm wondering if the roos are eating all the food and the hens aren't getting enough. They look fine other wise. I only go three eggs today from them. One is green so that means two from 2bo, 3cm, 2dom, 2glw,1del, . I haven't noticed to many cm eggs lately though they aren't very dark.
I hate to give the roos away. Though i have one young roo chick that I guess could go. The others are Georgia boy, Blulav, and three del.
I think I may just worm them again with exprinex and give them some vitamins. No one seems to be molting.

Many of mine are not laying, even though they are pretty much over the molt. In fact, thought it was cool to get as many as 7 eggs today--from 28 layers.
hmm.png
Only one Delaware is laying and she is laying at a very reduced rate. Georgie is still growing in feathers--Isaac keeps trying to lure her in the nest, LOL.

My hen is an internal layer. I have had the vet drain her abdomen and give her Baytril antibiotic. She is still alive 20 months after her first episode. These hens don't have to die if your vet can drain them properly and give them Baytril at an appropriate dose.

chicken grandma.....I know this is an old post, but what was the Baytril dosage your vet recommended?
Thanks.

I thought that Baytril was no longer approved for use in chickens. The problem is that chicken grandma was very lucky and that same chicken may eventually have a recurrence. Mine also were given massive antibiotic doses and though it prolonged their lives, it didn't provide a permanent cure. If it was that easy to fix, I wouldn't have had so many die from the same thing after multiple drainings and massive doses of antibiotics injected in multiple courses.

Back
Top Bottom