Drake attacked his ducklings!

Chucksandducks

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2021
Mummy duck Gertie successfully hatched 6 out of 7 eggs which is amazing for a first time Mum. She hasn't been the most vigilant/caring of Mums as she seems obsessed with Drake, however the 6 ducklings have made it to 3 weeks, apart from losing one to a buzzard. Drake has always been a bit bossy with the two cockerels that we have, and the other chickens and bantams, but its been manageable, there's been a bit of squabbling and tail feather pulling but that's all. Two days ago, I found one of the ducklings with all of the feathers pulled out of his back and bleeding..... it was awful. We took him inside bathed this wounds and kept him in overnight. As he was much better the next day we tried to reintroduce him to his family, firstly his siblings attacked his wounds on his back and then Gertie and Drake set about him! So he was permanently removed, at this point we didn't know who had attacked him.... rats? Cat? Buzzard, or possibly fell off of the rockery stones around the pond and got caught underneath and pulled his feathers out trying to escape. We didn't have a clue.
Now we do. I was watering the vegetable garden this evening and heard a commotion in the orchard where the flock is. I ran across and saw another duckling injured and Drake attacking him. I ran in and grabbed the duckling off of him and put him in a box, I then grabbed Drake and locked him in the coop. I then had to try to find the other 3 ducklings, they had all gone into hiding..... under the bantam coop, and down the side of the water butt, but what I found was awful when I did find them, two have had all of the skin ripped off of their necks, and are absolutely red raw ( I don't know if they will make it :() as well as the feathers off their backs, two just feathers off of his back, and one completely unscathed.... I'm assuming that he could run fastest! I am shocked beyond belief, upset, and angry that he would do this to his own ducklings. They are now all gently bathed, patched up and safe in a box with fresh sawdust and straw in the house. The worst of it is that Gertie wasn't even bothered about my taking her babies, she just sat outside the locked coop quacking at Drake!

oof. i wouldn't hatch his eggs again. the aggressive behaviour could be genetic.
To be honest that's my worry. We now have 8 of his ducklings, 3 we incubated and 5 that they hatched. I don't actually know what to do with him. The 3 that we hatched are in a separate enclosure because of his aggressive behaviour towards them, but I just thought that this was because he didn't recognise them as 'his' because they had been incubated. Now he has done this to his own ducklings, that is obviously not the case.

How old are the ducklings? If very young, I'd be inclined to remove daddy drake and put them back with mama duck. If they are weaned or near to be weaned then house them separately. I would also consider getting rid of the drake permanently

We just turned our oldest drake into cream of duck soup with mushrooms and wild rice. He was over-mating the three adult hens, picking on the three juvenile males that hatched early this year, and biting at the necks of the newest hatch. We kept him alive just long enough to ensure I had a male to replace him with. The two smallest juvenile males made duck burgers. and sauteed duck breast. and Duck a l'orange on wild rice (source of the "extra" wild rice that ended up in the soup).

Mummy duck Gertie successfully hatched 6 out of 7 eggs which is amazing for a first time Mum. She hasn't been the most vigilant/caring of Mums as she seems obsessed with Drake, however the 6 ducklings have made it to 3 weeks, apart from losing one to a buzzard. Drake has always been a bit bossy with the two cockerels that we have, and the other chickens and bantams, but its been manageable, there's been a bit of squabbling and tail feather pulling but that's all. Two days ago, I found one of the ducklings with all of the feathers pulled out of his back and bleeding..... it was awful. We took him inside bathed this wounds and kept him in overnight. As he was much better the next day we tried to reintroduce him to his family, firstly his siblings attacked his wounds on his back and then Gertie and Drake set about him! So he was permanently removed, at this point we didn't know who had attacked him.... rats? Cat? Buzzard, or possibly fell off of the rockery stones around the pond and got caught underneath and pulled his feathers out trying to escape. We didn't have a clue.
Now we do. I was watering the vegetable garden this evening and heard a commotion in the orchard where the flock is. I ran across and saw another duckling injured and Drake attacking him. I ran in and grabbed the duckling off of him and put him in a box, I then grabbed Drake and locked him in the coop. I then had to try to find the other 3 ducklings, they had all gone into hiding..... under the bantam coop, and down the side of the water butt, but what I found was awful when I did find them, two have had all of the skin ripped off of their necks, and are absolutely red raw ( I don't know if they will make it :() as well as the feathers off their backs, two just feathers off of his back, and one completely unscathed.... I'm assuming that he could run fastest! I am shocked beyond belief, upset, and angry that he would do this to his own ducklings. They are now all gently bathed, patched up and safe in a box with fresh sawdust and straw in the house. The worst of it is that Gertie wasn't even bothered about my taking her babies, she just sat outside the locked coop quacking at Drake!
Oh no! i'm so sorry this happened. Nature often makes a few "Bad Dads" Male birds, bears, rabbits etc. can be aggressive toward their own young.

How old are the ducklings? If very young, I'd be inclined to remove daddy drake and put them back with mama duck. If they are weaned or near to be weaned then house them separately. I would also consider getting rid of the drake permanently
The ducklings are 3 weeks old. I have removed them all. Gertie is not interested she just follows Drake round like a love sick teenager!

Back
Top Bottom