Drake attacking my hen....Why?

Welsh Ducky

Songster
Sep 6, 2016
NC Asheville
My Pekin drake recently lost his brother and he was getting lonely so I bought a female khaki Campbell duckling and he has hung out with her ever since, but since my chickens and ducks were free rang I wanted the duckling to free range too! But since she (duckling) has been running around with the chickens my drake started chasing my hen for no reason, but he is only chasing her and not any of my other chickens. And it's not because my hen is getting clos to the duckling at all! He is just chasing her and grabbing her feathers and pushing her around! :( please Help!! :/

Last edited:
In my experience, Ducks and Chickens do not mix well........My Ducks and Chickens were raised in the same Coop, although separate....I have two set ups......Chicken Coop/Run for Chickens and a Pen and house for my Ducks......I keep my Chickens behind a poultry fence during Free range time or my Ducks would attack them......

Possibly time to separate the Birds......

Cheers!

These chickens and ducks grew up together and never have had a problem untill the new duckling. but I don't want to get rid of any one! I also think its because my drakes brother(the one who died :( ) was trying to.....I think he was trying to mount my hen.....is that possible? I'm woundering if that's why he only going after that chiken and not the others.

Just another reason for keeping ducks separated from chickens, drakes will try to breed chickens if they don't have enough female ducks. Chickens are not designed for that sort of mating. Drakes can end up killing hens.
You never had this problem before probably because you didn't have any female ducks. Now you have a female duck and the drake has some raging hormones that are causing issues.

Back
Top Bottom