Drake & Flock Integration

DuckTapePalace

Chirping
Apr 22, 2023
We’ve got our 2 Ancona drakes in their own 6x8 housing that sits flush with the larger run we have for the hens (1 Rouen, 1 Blue Swedish, 1 Ancona, 2 Black Swedish). We’ve kept the wall between them open so that they can all be “together” but I’m wondering if it would be better to close off all walls and not let the drakes see any of the hens except through the front door. We’re still winterizing and covering the outside of the run.

I was thinking of a clear tarp for the doors and we’ve put up some great, weather proof canvas on the other sides (great but a little dark). The guys are still thirsty, especially for our newest hens and they’ll run around their enclosure keeping an eye on all the ladies. I’m concerned it stresses them out unnecessarily to watch the group and not be a part of it.… I’m not sure how much they’re eating since their focus is elsewhere.

They do get released on occasion for some group foraging or sometimes I keep the ladies in while they mill around but don’t go far without them. Our younger (by 2-3mo) Black Swedish are old enough to be pestered but the drakes occasionally the guys get territorial and chase them off. Most the time they seem okay together but integration is the goal. The ladies all get along fine without the drakes, but they do like to snuggle up to the wall when they sleep (wall? What wall? Haha).

We’ve got our 2 Ancona drakes in their own 6x8 housing that sits flush with the larger run we have for the hens (1 Rouen, 1 Blue Swedish, 1 Ancona, 2 Black Swedish). We’ve kept the wall between them open so that they can all be “together” but I’m wondering if it would be better to close off all walls and not let the drakes see any of the hens except through the front door. We’re still winterizing and covering the outside of the run.

I was thinking of a clear tarp for the doors and we’ve put up some great, weather proof canvas on the other sides (great but a little dark). The guys are still thirsty, especially for our newest hens and they’ll run around their enclosure keeping an eye on all the ladies. I’m concerned it stresses them out unnecessarily to watch the group and not be a part of it.… I’m not sure how much they’re eating since their focus is elsewhere.

They do get released on occasion for some group foraging or sometimes I keep the ladies in while they mill around but don’t go far without them. Our younger (by 2-3mo) Black Swedish are old enough to be pestered but the drakes occasionally the guys get territorial and chase them off. Most the time they seem okay together but integration is the goal. The ladies all get along fine without the drakes, but they do like to snuggle up to the wall when they sleep (wall? What wall? Haha).
See no touch for a few weeks is usually best
2 months is a bit young to mate
I like to wait till at least 3 but usually 4 to be sure they are ready
My boys don’t usually touch the young girls until they ask
With colder weather coming the boys should settle down a bit

I hope so!

Oh, sorry to be confusing. The older group is about 7-8 mo with the younger 2 being4-5mo. They’re old enough but it’s making integration tough. The boys got out today and chased them to the other side of the garden. Even after putting them up, the twins just kind of hid over there until it was time for all the ladies to go home. :( Moody, the most expressive of the two was definitely mad at them when they got home (like I said, they an see each other).

They’ve all been in close enclosures since the summer so there is some familiarity.

I hope so!

Oh, sorry to be confusing. The older group is about 7-8 mo with the younger 2 being4-5mo. They’re old enough but it’s making integration tough. The boys got out today and chased them to the other side of the garden. Even after putting them up, the twins just kind of hid over there until it was time for all the ladies to go home. :( Moody, the most expressive of the two was definitely mad at them when they got home (like I said, they an see each other).

They’ve all been in close enclosures since the summer so there is some familiarity.
I wonder if you try one boy with each group of girls. This way the boys can’t team up

I wonder if you try one boy with each group of girls. This way the boys can’t team up
Thank you. This is a good idea. I let them all out together the other day and that’s what happened. Ended up just putting the twins up for the rest of the day to give them a break. They’re super independent and were so not about it. Nobody was hurt it was just too constant. I’ll try just one at a time. I at hate keeping them separated :( They’re punks but I love em and love seeing them all together.

Back
Top Bottom