Drake Identification and Strange Broody Hen

Virdriux

Chirping
Apr 6, 2020
Hello!! Got a couple major questions I’ve been sitting on for a while that I’m hoping you guys can help me find answers to!

First off, I’ve got a couple lovely boys I haven’t been able to identify. Whenever I encounter anyone knows anything about ducks, I’ve been pitching the question to no avail.
36063E6A-EDCB-43EA-8720-C6FA0D7FCB24.jpeg

They were sold as Khaki Campbell and well... They definitely Aren’t That. These two boys are about half the size of my Rouens, and are lacking the white ring around their neck. In addition, I’ve seen one fly miles of laps around the house. At this point, I’m pretty sure they’re only sticking around cause they like the treats and hens.

Next, I have a question about a Muscovy hen! When I first brought a batch of girls home, I figured that they’d just be funky looking ducks. Since then, I’ve gleefully discovered they’re basically Wrong Ducks. I’ve gone out and read all I can find to help make sure I don’t make a major whoops like that again.
Anyways, the specific question comes in in regards to brooding behavior. I figured this would be a good spot to try to pitch it, though seeing as she decided to sit on a batch of chicken eggs, I can see where it may not be appropriate.
582F90EB-B49A-4EFD-8047-2C97F6513F37.jpeg

First off, this is the best picture I’ve taken in my life. But that’s not the point. The point is that I have no idea how this hen managed to hatch anything. I checked on her during evening chores and was absolutely bewildered to hear cheeping and find a chick up under her.
And this is where I’m going to try to my to articulate why this was such a surprise. This hen has been on and off that nest for almost a month. She’s only been sitting full time for about a week, and I figured if she managed to hatch anything, it’d be a couple weeks out from now. Figured the weeks that she’s been mostly off wouldn’t count. She’s spent days seeming to completely ignore her down filled nest, and has spent nights where we’ve hit freezing off of it.

Is this some sort of fluke? Should I be expecting more chicks? Is this just some weird alternative to sitting on the eggs all day? How Did This Happen??
Finally, to dissuade any potential worries, the chick she managed to hatch has been rehomed under a heat lamp! It took me quite a bit a research to find what I was looking for, but it does seem that duck won’t abide by babies that don’t swim. And if they do by some chance, better safe than sorry!

I was thinking they might be mallards, but almost all the pictures I could find online still has the white ring like Rouens! Having some confirmation my best guess was right is nice. Thank you so much!
None of my chickens have been broody this year, so I stuck a few eggs up under the Muscovy. To make sure that no unfortunate water-related accidents occur, I’m keeping a close eye for any chicks to separate them from the hen. I suppose I’m essentially using her as a natural incubator?

Evidently over that 21 day period she sat long enough. I swear when my Muscovy go broody they would sit snake eggs as long as they have eggs. I love the breed!
I was honestly under the impression eggs would need full time care or at least a consistent source of heat! I’ve had a lot of fun with them so far. I originally found their carnucles a bit off putting, but I’ve fallen in love with all the little noises they make!
So far over the past month I’ve already had two go broody, and opposed to other hens I have (both duck and chicken) actually stick with it! The other hen has already hatched out a small group of ducklings, though they’re babies from the other ducks since I haven’t picked up a Muscovy drake. I’ve been really impressed with how good she’s been as a mother!

They are awesome mamas! I’m glad you have fallen for them they really are great ducks! Now of course we need pics of Everyone!!
FF2AEB07-A8A2-4416-8AD5-DBCE09D6C1D6.jpeg

Managed to get this picture of her yesterday with her babies! She’s not been too keen on sharing though, so I don’t have much better pictures. She was nice enough to settle in one of those dog shelter igloos in a predator proof enclosure, so I’ve been keeping her there until the ducklings are bigger. Don’t want to take any risks when I’ve got a 25 lbs turkey running around!

She’s got 4 little birds, three of a similar grey-green coloration with small bits of yellow and black feet speckled with yellow. The fourth was the first one hatched, and is a deep black with just a hint of yellow down, and solid black feet. Seeing as how the fourth has similar coloration to Cayuga ducklings and there’s a Cayuga drake wandering the yard...

Back
Top Bottom