drake losing back of neck feathers

Maybe a molt or could be the chickens pecking
Any sores where the feathers are coming out ?
I have noticed a lot of feathers in my yard lately and wonder if mine are starting to molt
@Miss Lydia has had ducks a long time and maybe able to give more advice
i do hope its a molt, i dealt w lice or mites w my chickens recently and i hope he didnt catch any since for some reason this man is rarely interested in doing anything but follow the hen around and eat the cats food lol, again i didnt see anything on him at all and the feathers seemed to keep falling off on my hand when i was checking the area so

Definitely sounds at least in part that he's molting. When ducks molt its like an explosion of feathers and is quite alarming the first time because it looks like a duck got massacred haha. If there's no sores probably not much to worry about I would guess.

Definitely sounds at least in part that he's molting. When ducks molt its like an explosion of feathers and is quite alarming the first time because it looks like a duck got massacred haha. If there's no sores probably not much to worry about I would guess.
what would sores look like? like red and inflamed or smth like that?

Yes the neck would be raw looking and if someone was going at his neck eventually there would be an open sore. It sounds liker molt to me if you don't have another drake going after him.
im looking at him rn and he seems to be losing feathera from his back to his tail as well, so i am assumibg its molt

Attachments

• 20230604_080559.jpg
    20230604_080559.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 3
Has he lost his flight feathers too? looks like something going on with his wing.
oh yea they were clipped when we first got him cuz the guy at the store wasny sure if he could fly or not and didnt wanna risk it, theyve been the same since

Oh okay well he should lose those feathers too and grow back if he is in full molt. sometimes they have small mini molts during the season too. so watch for his wing feathers to start falling out then you'll know he is in full molt. He won't do another full molt till next year. you might add some extra protein to his diet right now some small dog kibble that has a good amount of protein or cat food both good quality. Those feathers are protein so adding some while going through molt can help alot.

Oh okay well he should lose those feathers too and grow back if he is in full molt. sometimes they have small mini molts during the season too. so watch for his wing feathers to start falling out then you'll know he is in full molt. He won't do another full molt till next year.
that explains why he shed the most feathers out of all my flock then! i didnt know they have mini molts as well, thank u!

Back
Top Bottom