Drake over mating one duck

Pick No More! This is exactly the kind of thing I've been looking for - tried googling all sorts of things hoping to figure out a safe bad tasting thing to try. Thank you! I'm going to get some of this and give it a try - fingers crossed.

Also, I've tried separating them - it's good in terms of giving flopsy a break, but it doesn't ultimately fix the problem.
I'll let you know if the pick no more works; thank you again for the suggestion
There is another you can use to. Pine tar is also harmless to them, but tastes terrible. We've had success with that in the past before to.

Actually, pine tar sounds like it might be a better option. less likely to come off with head dunks in water and seems to have less volatile ingredients. But I already ran out and grabbed some Pick-no-more so I'll start there. Thanks!

Actually, pine tar sounds like it might be a better option. less likely to come off with head dunks in water and seems to have less volatile ingredients. But I already ran out and grabbed some Pick-no-more so I'll start there. Thanks!
No problem

I have a khaki that seems to be the boys favorite and I can tell it’s getting to much for her. We are in the process of getting more girls to help with our ratio but in the meantime I’m gonna have to separate. Is there anything I can do to give her a little boost? Any supplements or anything? She’s lost a lot of feathers and has been laying around quite a bit.

I feel your pain. Maybe rooster booster would help. I keep that on hand for situations where they seem to need something extra. Maybe she's molting? One of my pekins is molting right now. You should definitely separate your male if she's running from him and doesn't want the attention, or if you notice it's too much mating or see signs of her being hurt. I have one drake and 5 females and the drake seems intent on mainly going after my 2 pekins, who don't want anything to do with him. They have occasional leg injuries, so I won't let him chase them or fight with them to mate. When I let him try to mate with them in the pond he just can't get the job done because he's so small. When I separate him with a few of the other smaller girls he's just not interested in them. I don't think I will be able to keep up the separation for too long. When I let them out in the yard I have to stand guard constantly, and they can't be in the tractor together, even with a fence between them because he gets over or around and starts beating on the pekins. For now he's spending a lot of time in the run alone, and he's miserable with that. Drakes are so difficult. I really like him, but he may have to go :(

I feel your pain. Maybe rooster booster would help. I keep that on hand for situations where they seem to need something extra. Maybe she's molting? One of my pekins is molting right now. You should definitely separate your male if she's running from him and doesn't want the attention, or if you notice it's too much mating or see signs of her being hurt. I have one drake and 5 females and the drake seems intent on mainly going after my 2 pekins, who don't want anything to do with him. They have occasional leg injuries, so I won't let him chase them or fight with them to mate. When I let him try to mate with them in the pond he just can't get the job done because he's so small. When I separate him with a few of the other smaller girls he's just not interested in them. I don't think I will be able to keep up the separation for too long. When I let them out in the yard I have to stand guard constantly, and they can't be in the tractor together, even with a fence between them because he gets over or around and starts beating on the pekins. For now he's spending a lot of time in the run alone, and he's miserable with that. Drakes are so difficult. I really like him, but he may have to go :(
I can’t separate all the time either, temporarily is fine. Once we get a few more ladies I’m hoping it will be better. If not one of the drakes will have to go. I have terrible drake luck! We got rid of 3 last fall and the 2 ducklings we got at the same time both drakes!!!

She could possibly be molting, she didn’t seem to molt much last year. I know the spot on the back of her head is from mating but there’s some on the rest of her body that could be molt. I don’t feel like my ducks have ever molted in spring. Is this about the time that happens?

Never heard of rooster booster, I’ll check it out. Thanks!

I have a khaki that seems to be the boys favorite and I can tell it’s getting to much for her. We are in the process of getting more girls to help with our ratio but in the meantime I’m gonna have to separate. Is there anything I can do to give her a little boost? Any supplements or anything? She’s lost a lot of feathers and has been laying around quite a bit.
It might be helpful to start a new thread, as this is from about a year ago, but I would probably separate her. How many what's the ratio?

As for the feather loss, I'd suggest seeing if you can get a sort of apron? I know they work great for chickens, but not sure about ducks. https://www.etsy.com/shop/OneMountainAcres?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=723909633

It might be helpful to start a new thread, as this is from about a year ago, but I would probably separate her. How many what's the ratio?

As for the feather loss, I'd suggest seeing if you can get a sort of apron? I know they work great for chickens, but not sure about ducks. https://www.etsy.com/shop/OneMountainAcres?ref=simple-shop-header-name&listing_id=723909633
Yes I knew this was an old thread, didn’t think it was necessary to start a new one just to ask about supplements. I already know my ratio is off and they are being separated. Just wanted to see if I could help her recover faster.

Never tried an apron but I will look into it, thanks.

They make them for chicken never have seen one for a duck but maybe so. Poultry vitamins and there is a special feed called feather fixer, I’ve never used by it but might be worth looking into.

Back
Top Bottom