Drake pulling my leg

asher

Chicken Enabler Extraordinaire
14 Years
Jan 26, 2007
Mountains of NC
Yes, seriously.

Our drake was hatched in June. Single hatchling, bonded to us. He has three girls now and has begun breeding.

Telling that to say, he has begun randomly pulling on our pants legs. He'll follow us (not fast, not mean) around the run and start pulling on our pants legs with his beak.

Is this an aggressive thing? We are new to ducks. I know what roos do when they become mature and aggressive, but no clue on ducks. BTW, he's a bantam so if he was biting, he'd be an ankle biter.
wink.png
It doesn't hurt at all, just kind of...odd.

I will say he did that today when I brought food out and happily ate of my hand sweetly shortly afterwards.

He does this to one of my sons (the pant thing) every time, though, not just when feeding.

If this is an aggressive/dominance thing, what do you do with a duck (NOT eating him!) to curb that? Again, I know what to do with roosters, but not ducks!

I have 2 that do that.

One is an imprinted scovy drake who wants to tell me all about the day when I go to let them out. If I walk away befroe he is done talking, he grabs my pants leg and keeps talking. When HE is done talking, he wags his tail and wanders off.

The other is an imprinted Khaki Campbell drake. He weaves around our feet and talks and pulls pants legs too. He loves to be picked up and fussed over.

It sounds like you have a drake who loves you!
love.gif

Oh I am so glad to hear it! I was afraid someone would say it's aggression and omg! he's just a doll so I'd hate that! (He's the babe hiding in my shirt in my av.
love.gif
)

I did feed him from my hand and then pick him up and he left me alone a bit, but as I was leaving, he walked to the door with me and starting pulling again. heh I brought them some grass and he seemed okay after that.

So he loves my son and I. hehe Too cute! He doesn't do it to the other kids at all.

Back
Top Bottom