Drake question

Good Morning all, It has been a while since I posted. We have not only been adding to our chicken flock, but just received four ducklings to add to the crew. I love reading all the informative posts. I have had people panicking over the fact I have ducklings, and they have been paranoid over drakes with hens. We already have a "naughty pen" for hormonal girls, most of them we actually have finally trained. When they are sitting on eggs, they jump off but telling us off ALL they way. I guess we need to keep the naughty pen in case any of the ducklings are a Drake. Anyway, thanks for the information its very helpful!

Always a good idea to have a separate place to put drakes so the girls can have a break from mating.

Congrats on your new ducklings what breed and of course we love pictures too.

This is an interesting thread. A neighbor has a young male and female (Runners) that they incubated this summer. These two have been incredibly friendly with people, running to the fence to visit with us when we walk by. They are about three months old and have been sharing a pen with thirty young chickens from the time they moved outside. We were all taken by the friendliness of the male and thought if they were to keep just one drake, this would be the one. I noticed him bossing the chickens around last week, then learned that he'd started biting and acting aggressively towards his people. Yesterday I put my finger through the wire when he ran up, because he was looking possessive of the female and I was curious what he'd do. Well, he bit my finger and when I didn't withdraw my hand started pushing with his head. You know, drake fighting. The owners are teaching their young son how to handle the aggression, but now I think this may not be the best drake for them to keep. (They have an older one that's never caused trouble, and two that were hatched by one of their ducks this summer and are being raised by her.) I find it interesting that my drake, raised by his mother, keeps a distance from people and never acts aggressively towards us. Perhaps even with ducks, familiarity breeds contempt! If you could only keep one, would you keep this drake and try to redirect his aggression, or go with one of the others that keeps a respectful distance?

All drakes raised here by mama ducks have never been aggressive,my one Muscovy drake rejected by his mama and raised by me has always been a handful. He is 12 yrs old now I love him to pieces but your comparison is right on. If choosing and I knew the aggressor was going to a good home I’d choose the laid back one.

Back
Top Bottom