Drake suddenly avoids flock

MKendall

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2018
Our flock consists of 8 adults. 1 Pekin female and 1 Pekin male, 2 Mallard males, 1 Khaki male, and 3 Khaki females. The Mallard guys are total jerks to the male Pekin. Now the male Khaki is too. I noticed
the last couple days that the male Pekin has stopped hanging out in the flock and stays by himself. I don't know why or what to do. We now have 12 older ducklings but they all tend to stay together. (For the first little while both adult Pekins stayed with the little ones until recently)

For one thing way to many drakes. I know it’s hard to part with them but for the safety of your females there should be 1 drake to every 3-4 females. Now they have chased the Pekin out and unless dominance changes he will stay out or eventually they will kill him by stress or just picking being they are flock animals they really need each other for company and to stay safe he won’t do well on the fringe of his flock any way you can work in your ratio and give this drake and your female Pekin their own space but where everyone can still see each other? Do you know sex of your ducklings?

For one thing way to many drakes. I know it’s hard to part with them but for the safety of your females there should be 1 drake to every 3-4 females. Now they have chased the Pekin out and unless dominance changes he will stay out or eventually they will kill him by stress or just picking being they are flock animals they really need each other for company and to stay safe he won’t do well on the fringe of his flock any way you can work in your ratio and give this drake and your female Pekin their own space but where everyone can still see each other? Do you know sex of your ducklings?
So far the ducklings look to be mostly female if not all

We keep the 2 adult Pekins with the ducklings when they are put up at night and separately from the other adults but they can still see each other

We have also been thinking of selling the Mallards cause they are so aggressive. Idk where to post to sell them because I don't want them to be killed or mistreated

Back
Top Bottom