Drastic humidity drop during lockdown

Saraalexis17

Chirping
Sep 6, 2021
Yesterday our humidity was too high, 80%. Got it down to 60% and left it alone. Well, we woke up to 15% humidity and three external pips. There’s only one peeping, and no progress for 4 hours.

Looking like we shrink wrapped them? I’m feeling pretty bad right now, if there’s any way I can help them I’m open to ideas. Membranes are white not brown.

You'll need to raise the humidity. Use a spray bottle/cup of water and quickly open the incubator to get water inside. You might be able to pour water through the ventilation holes, if able to. Use warm water to it can raise the humidity levels quicker than cool water will. Only add little bits at a time so you can monitor the humidity levels, and so you don't drown them. What's the temperature and where is the incubator at? Do you have pictures of what the eggs look like?

Last edited:
You'll need to raise the humidity quickly. Use a spray bottle/cup of water and quickly open the incubator to get water inside. You might be able to pour water through the ventilation holes, if able to. Use warm water to it can raise the humidity levels quicker than cool water will. Only add little bits at a time so you can monitor the humidity levels, and so you don't drown them. What's the temperature and where is the incubator at? Do you have pictures of what the eggs look like?
Temp is at 99.4 and I have in a very stable room. I wish I could get better pics through the plastic. There’s one that’s pipped quite a bit on the under side. One pip that hasn’t broken through the membrane yet. This egg is peeping.

Attachments

• B5FAE5E7-76BC-44E3-83AE-63A013D1D56C.jpeg
    B5FAE5E7-76BC-44E3-83AE-63A013D1D56C.jpeg
    310.1 KB · Views: 4
Slow drops in humidity DON'T cause shrink wrapping.. it's the rapid drop from opening the lid that does that.

What bator are you using and how many more have yet to pip?

They can rest for up to 24 hours after external pip before starting to unzip.

:fl :jumpy:jumpy
That’s reassuring, it was definitely slow. I haven’t dared to lift it after we realized. It’s funny because I’ve had previous hatches externally pip and take til the next day to hatch but of course right now I’m panicking lol. Crossing my fingers they’ll be alright. Totally kicking myself in the butt!

Plenty now. I was able to get it up to 60 within 10 minutes of discovering the horror lol.
I think you'll be fine. Sometimes mine run out of water too. When they do, I watch the ones that have already pipped externally. If they make zero progress in 36 hours, I consider assisting.

I think you'll be fine. Sometimes mine run out of water too. When they do, I watch the ones that have already pipped externally. If they make zero progress in 36 hours, I consider assisting.
How do you go about assisting if you don’t mind me asking? Just gently chipping away at the shell? Should I do that in a steamy shower bathroom or something lol? I have never had to assist before so I am learning.

Back
Top Bottom