Dreaded Bumblefoot

VikiR

In the Brooder
Jun 30, 2023
I have a hen with bumblefoot. She is a real bear to soak. Squirming, talking, trying to jump out. Wrapped in a towel doesn't calm her a bit. I am working alone so giving treats seems impossible since I was blessed with only two hands. My question is, can I soak both feet in tricide neo? Only one foot has the bumblefoot. I gotta feeling I need to just soak the sick foot..... so much fun. poor little bird. Update; I called my vet and she said that I COULD soak both feet in tricide neo. whew, that will be better than one foot out one foot in. Still would take advice on keeping "Rose" calm while I soak her feet. Thank you fellow bird lovers.

Last edited:
I have a hen with bumblefoot. She is a real bear to soak. Squirming, talking, trying to jump out. Wrapped in a towel doesn't calm her a bit. I am working alone so giving treats seems impossible since I was blessed with only two hands. My question is, can I soak both feet in tricide neo? Only one foot has the bumblefoot. I gotta feeling I need to just soak the sick foot..... so much fun. poor little bird.
Try this method of soaking
B140C7F7-AC49-4CF8-A0CB-52CA2C26A60F.png

It might help her not be so difficult

I put a towel over my chicken's head when I soak or tend to my chickens. It helps calm them. I've been working on a terrible case of bumblefoot on my rooster for a month now. I soaked, vet did debridement, still an issue but getting some better. The infection went up the foot so 2 bad spots I'm dealing with. My rooster has been so good through all this; I just hate to give up on him and put him down. This single digit weather isn't helpful either. I have had him in the basement and he crows at times all day/nite. My poor cats are like "what in the world is that?!" I've been giving him antibiotics and pain pills through a syringe and that can be a struggle to get him to hold his head still so I can get it down him. I'm ready to be done with this as I know he is.

I put a towel over my chicken's head when I soak or tend to my chickens. It helps calm them. I've been working on a terrible case of bumblefoot on my rooster for a month now. I soaked, vet did debridement, still an issue but getting some better. The infection went up the foot so 2 bad spots I'm dealing with. My rooster has been so good through all this; I just hate to give up on him and put him down. This single digit weather isn't helpful either. I have had him in the basement and he crows at times all day/nite. My poor cats are like "what in the world is that?!" I've been giving him antibiotics and pain pills through a syringe and that can be a struggle to get him to hold his head still so I can get it down him. I'm ready to be done with this as I know he is.
Oh, I am so sorry to hear about your rooster. Poor little birds. They really do suffer with their feet at times. My hen is slowly getting better. I soaked her feet for 5 days in Epsom salts while I waited for the tricide neo. I have been soaking her foot in the neo now for 6 days. As you mentioned the weather is not really on our side. The kernel is getting smaller. I have played Bethoven, chicken music and at times my husband making clucking sounds to distract her. My clucking worked for awhile but she is bored with that. I really struggled holding her still to soak until I started holding her by her legs. She still tries to get away. sometimes flogging me good. If I could just communicate to her that I am trying to help. Anyway, Thanks for the tip on covering her head. I appreciate any and all input.....Just "wingin" it the best we can.

After nearly 2 months, my rooster's foot is getting better. Such a hard time for him and me. The thing that finally cleared it up was an antibiotic I squirted in the wounds. He is still limping and swollen but haven't gotten any puss/curds out this week. I'm still checking it every 2 or 3 days. Gentamicin, got it from the vet.

Back
Top Bottom