Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Well we have decided to not keep her, just what to do with her. I don't want to make her someone else's problem but we do have two friends who have chickens who will never have chicks because they just don't do chicks.

Or we will eat her when we process any males, but 10 more weeks is a LONG time. lol and she isn't even top hen! UGH

Thanks for the advice :)

Well naughty hen is in solitary confinement:lau and hating it.

Mama hen and chicks out FT with everyone else and doing great. Eating and foraging right along with the rest. Will check on them every hour or so for a day or two and then I think they will be good. Crazy how fast they learn from mama, doing all big chicken things and flapping their wings and jumping high! Lots of places to hide, 3 feeders and 2 waterers for mama, 5 babies and 5 older hens.

Appreciate all the wisdom! Thank goodness I didn't have to raise these chicks and had a broody, there would have been 100s of more questions for you all.

Pulled a couple non-producing zucchini and tomato plants today. Fall raspberries have flowers! Sweet potatoes are still vining, no flowers yet. Buttercup squash looks good, not ripe yet, but there are 18 of them on 3 vines.

Just snuggling on the coach with my youngest, waiting for the Vikings game (yep I said it, Vikings :idunno)

Today I went and picked up the new float bowl for the old carb. took off the "new" carb and put the old one on.
NO more surging and the idle is set.
Now I am going to raise the rear of the lawn mower so that I can put the inner tube into the tire. I am taking a break from the heat for awhile.
Had the last piece of raspberry pie for breakfast.

I raised the lawn mower with the tractor loader bucket and put the inner tube in. Note to myself. never try to mount a tire without lubricating the bead.
I drove the mower a little way. It did not go well. I dribbled oil on the drive belt when I opened up the valve cover.
I am not going to work on it today. I took a shower and don't want to get all sweated up. I am going with Annie for her Dr appt in a little while.

I know it's cooler out but I'm still hot as heck outside. I did see one little tree turning red, so fall isn't too far off. The willows have been dropping their leaves. I see the raspberry are starting to produce too.

Garden hasn't been as productive as in years past, but I haven't been tending it as much so it's to be expected. The weird spring weather didn't help either. Thank goodness for stores.

I know it's cooler out but I'm still hot as heck outside. I did see one little tree turning red, so fall isn't too far off. The willows have been dropping their leaves. I see the raspberry are starting to produce too.
Same here! On all counts----raspberries starting to produce, leaves turning read (mostly on sumac) and I am hot! haha

Not too much going on here. Oldest had her senior picture session on Sat, it was outside at a U-pick flower farm that also harvests honey. Really pretty landscape and weather was decent.

Orientation and back to school nights for both kids next week so this week is running around doing last minute dr appts and trying to find all the silly school supplies they need. BOO. Youngest has a bday party at a lake cabin Thursday so I will go and hang out.

another four am cuppa coffee. I think I know what is waking me up. Annie goes to the bathroom. Not in bed. lol
I wake up when she comes back into the bedroom.
I have to do some research on the belts for the lawn mower.
we are going to hire Annie's third cousin to come help us get the brush piles hauled back to the burn pile.
He is kind of weird, I don't know how well I can work with him.
I will stay on the tractor and let Annie work with him.

I'm back; haven't caught up on all the goings on yet but it looks like everyone has been busy.

The trip up North was good. The memorial was well attended, and about a dozen people got up and said shared memories of Jim. Although I try to keep a (healthy) safe distance from people, I got lots of hugs. And, Jim got the sendoff he deserved.

The best surprise was that the widow and son of one of our very good friends came up from Georgia. Margaret still owns their cabin near Kenosha; but rarely returns to the Midwest.

The house/pet sitter did a great job. The only downside was that my poor goat Jack died the same day I left.

I must be getting old. For the first time ever, I didn't unpack the moment I got home (stuff is still on the dining room table) and the laundry is unwashed. Turns out, it doesn't really matter; none of it is going anywhere.

Back
Top Bottom