Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Not very nice outside. Not sure what's worse, the rain, the ice, or the wind. This is why I always prefer snow. That at least is pretty and provides protection to my plants.

I remember one winter back in the 80's when we were still farming. The ice was so bad and thick it was killing off the alfalfa in the fields, and we were so worried about next year's crops. Glad we don't do that anymore.

we drove the wet roads to the Dr today. got there
and the Dr had gone home sick.
went to Panda express for lunch. Honey walnut shrimp.
the roads were wet but not slippery.
nine o'clock now and it is still not snowing.
saw a flock of turkeys in a field close to home.
had to be no less than a hundred of them.
they can tell when bad weather is coming.

Too bad you braved the roads and didn't get to see the doctor. But, hey, you still got lunch!

And, you spotted an amazing flock of turkeys. I've never seen that many at once! Some years back, Jim and I were overwhelmed when we counted more than three dozen ring-necked pheasants gathered around one of the fences.

Big, fluffy, beautiful snowflakes are falling here. Unfortunately, there is patchy, slippery ice underneath the snow. I "skated" down the ramp when I took out the dogs this morning. I have cancelled a coffee date with a friend and will spend today holed up indoors as much as the critters will let me.

I could clean house, wrap presents, do crafts, make "leftovers" soup (because I was planning to get groceries in town. Pickings are a bit slim here), but I might just read a book and/or watch black-and-white movies.

Barb, I like the way you sift through your chores and
settle on a book. lolol
We were out of power for the second time from four AM
to eight AM. our house is well insulated so it didn't get
too cold. besides it was warm and cozy under the quilt..
we got about five inches of snow. it is very pretty with
all of the trees completely covered with snow. looks like
a scene from Dr Dzivago ..
I suppose I will go out and see what I can do with Ollie.
I hope there is no ice under the snow. that makes backing up
harder after pushing the snow into a pile. then I have to
use the bucket to push myself backwards.

I was worried about power outages. None here thankfully. It not really slippery here. Snow is thick and heavy, and still wet underneath. We are probably okay until the temperatures drop. It is pretty out. Trees look strained. Hopefully the snow fall off them before they lose branches.

The gentle, fluffy snowflakes of early morning have given away to horizontal, sleety, biting snow. And, it's piling up way too fast for my liking.

Jim, you will be happy to know that I did read a few pages, but my over-developed sense of responsibility got the better of me. I rushed outside before the beginning of several days of frigid temps to clean all the muck out of the ducks' and geese's shelters before it was frozen solid. Tomorrow's high is predicted to be in the single digits. I'll get to haul water and break ice! Yippee!! (Is there an emoji that conveys sarcasm? I sure could use one.)

As described in a post on another thread, none of the waterfowl appreciated my efforts; they all hung out in the snow and strong winds. The wind has now picked up so much that the steps get covered in drifted snow minutes after I clear them.

I have locked the ducks and geese into their shelters, mostly for my sake, not theirs. I worry about predators spotting easy meals while my silly birds lounge about, enjoying the snow.

The high winds are -- at least for now -- blowing the snow off the driveway. I'm sure it will change directions before too long. I hope I don't have any reason to head into town before Saturday. I hate shoveling!!

One of my last two sheep was dead in the shed this morning when I did chores. Betsy had been with me for probably 10 years; when her siblings died, I got another Katahdin -- a young ewe -- to keep her company.

Rachel is now all alone. She totally freaked out when a neighbor and I took Betsy's body out of the shed. I am worried about Rach; she's running the fence line like she's looking for her friend. It's heartbreaking.

One of my last two sheep was dead in the shed this morning when I did chores. Betsy had been with me for probably 10 years; when her siblings died, I got another Katahdin -- a young ewe -- to keep her company.

Rachel is now all alone. She totally freaked out when a neighbor and I took Betsy's body out of the shed. I am worried about Rach; she's running the fence line like she's looking for her friend. It's heartbreaking.
So sorry to hear that. :(

Back
Top Bottom