Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Chronic pain is really a PITA, Jim, and can drain your energy. I hope you get this worked out.

Today, we are under a weather advisory that offers ice accumulation, freezing rain, sleet, snow -- all the winter favorites! I hope a predicted return to 40-degree temps in a few days proves correct.

If the bad weather holds off until late afternoon, one of my friends is planning to come over for a cup of tea (or two!). I am planning to try out a new recipe for sweet potato bars. If the weather goes bad early, I guess I will have a whole pan of bars to eat on my own.

waiting for some snow here today. 2 to 4 inches.
I hope it warms up some.
Yesterday my youngest sister drove me to meet my
oldest sister half way at Plainfield to pick up the rocking
chair. We had lunch at the Pioneer.
as a surprise, my sister brought my son along from
Middleton. We haven't seen him for five years.
His wife cannot travel due to health problems. She can be
left alone for short periods of time.

Sounds like some good family time -- and, yay on the rocking chair. I love those and realized when I didn't bid on a beauty at the last auction that I already have five. Probably enough.

Did you get your snow, Jim? We were under weather alerts, warnings, advisories, etc. with up to 3 inches of wet, sloppy snow predicted. It is as described -- except there is less than an inch on the ground, and it is supposed to stop within a couple of hours and warm up above freezing.

My big accomplishment yesterday was baking sweet potato bars then dusting & sweeping in the dining room so my friend, Deb, and I could enjoy those bars with a cup of hot tea and much less pet hair.

nope, no snow, no rain. and it looks like the stuff
predicted today will stay well to the south of us.
My sister said she never saw a rocking chair that
she didn't like.
I don't think she has five of them, though..
I drink a cuppa coffee each morning. but sometimes
I go on a tea binge.
I am not getting any projects done. I am
planning several for when I get an ambitious streak.

this morning my brother picked me up and we
went to the vfw to pick up our Christmas hams.
Then he treated me to breakfast. win win ..
we got a dusting of snow. now it is plenty white
enough for Christmas as far as I am concerned..
I mixed up some frosting and Annie decorated
some cookies. I ate a couple to make sure they are
OK for other people.
the two foot Christmas tree is out of the contractor's
bag and shining brightly on the table top.

We haven't had much snow yet, and I am fine with that. Shoveling is not one of my favorite winter sports. On the other hand, I am dealing with mud from the melting stuff. Cochins, especially, are not happy about the mess because I am reluctant to let them out of the coop and into the puddles.

Very kind of you to try out those cookies, Jim!

The YWCA was looking for folks to "adopt" a family for Christmas, and I got a "wish list" from a mom and her 12-year-old son. The things they asked for were so basic -- stuff many people would consider everyday items. I had a great time shopping for them -- it's been a highlight of the season for me. Now, wrapping those presents so they don't look like a kindergartener was turned loose with paper and tape will be a whole different experience!

Hope everybody has a good week!

Barb, that seems like a satisfying venture.
I don't know of any place around here that
does that. I will check it out. We don't get into
exchanging gifts. We have Christmas all year long.
when we need something, we buy it..
with the help of my bride, I got the transmission
oil topped off in Ollie. It took a little more than I
thought it would, but the job is done.
My hand pump puts out only about a half a cup
per pump.. Annie held the tube in the fill hole
while I pumped.

I also subscribe to the "buy-it-when-you-need-it, Christmas-all-year-long" theory. While I hope and intend to live quite a few more years, I have become a bit more free in recent years about spending money for things Of course, I'm still pretty frugal because "waste not, want not" was pretty much my dad's financial philosophy, driven into me from the time I got my first savings account at the age of 8.

But, spending money to make someone else happier is a wonderful feeling, knowing that I have more than I need and they, for whatever reason, have less. My sister and I still exchange gifts, but she's the only person I buy presents for now.

Leave it to me to complain about mud! There's not going to be much of that in the foreseeable future. The winter weather advisory started last night, the sound of whipping winds and icy stuff hitting the bedroom window woke me up at 2:30 this morning, and if we're extremely lucky, it MIGHT get above freezing tomorrow. Then, there's cold, cold and more cold.

Doesn't look like my weekly trip to Bomgaars will be happening today. I have no desire to drive on icy roads.

we don't get bothered about mud, much.
everything leading to the house is granite.
what we do get are tiny pieces of granite which
I have no trouble finding with my bare veet on
the tile floor.
too dark to see what is going on outside. last
night there were frozen pellets coming down.
I hope it doesn't rain and then freeze. that
makes plowing the snow difficult.
I decided yes, I am going to put the back blade on.
yesterday I got a prescription for new glasses. long
overdue.. today I am supposed to go get my headaches
checked out. but the road conditions will determine
whether we go or not..

Back
Top Bottom