Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
Saw the title of this post and realized it was started in January and I still sit and wait for Spring on April 30 :) we are finally feeling like the weather will be warm enough this weekend to start planting some stuff in the vegetable garden. Still looks like some cold days and nights ahead but I can’t wait any longer!

Saw the title of this post and realized it was started in January and I still sit and wait for Spring on April 30 :) we are finally feeling like the weather will be warm enough this weekend to start planting some stuff in the vegetable garden. Still looks like some cold days and nights ahead but I can’t wait any longer!
The warm up sure is taking it's time this year, but than I realize it's still April, and some years we are buried in snow still, so I'm okay with what we have this year. Pretty soon it will go from cooler to being too warm out.

The warm up sure is taking it's time this year, but than I realize it's still April, and some years we are buried in snow still, so I'm okay with what we have this year. Pretty soon it will go from cooler to being too warm out.
So true. In north central WI we had a pretty mild, low snow winter (which was sad for me as I’m a winter lover!) so I feel like we’ve been stuck in an endless March since about mid-January

My daughter just called me. She lives in Wausau, today she is planting peas and onions. she sold all of her tomato plants already. So I guess a lot of people are getting antsy..
she saved a beefsteak and a couple of cherry tomatoes for me. She is going to plant another batch of assorted tomatoes. She sells them for
$2.oo/3" pots..
I have to mix up a whole pile of compost and soil for backfilling four trees. I think I will take the truck and pick up a yard of compost from Hsu's..about $35.oo..
.....jiminwaUSAu.......

My daughter just called me. She lives in Wausau, today she is planting peas and onions. she sold all of her tomato plants already. So I guess a lot of people are getting antsy..
she saved a beefsteak and a couple of cherry tomatoes for me. She is going to plant another batch of assorted tomatoes. She sells them for
$2.oo/3" pots..
I have to mix up a whole pile of compost and soil for backfilling four trees. I think I will take the truck and pick up a yard of compost from Hsu's..about $35.oo..
.....jiminwaUSAu.......
My goal is to get peas and onions in this weekend! We have a lot of prep work to do yet as the rain has kept us out of the garden the last few weeks. Looks like tomorrow should be great weather! We’ve gotten Hsu’s compost before at various greenhouses and garden centers.... it’s great stuff!

DoodleDoo, do you live close to Hsu's ?
I am about 10 miles west as the crow flies.
My daughter uses my pu truck to pick up potting soil and compost from Hsu's. She spreads about 30 5 gallon pails in the box. then just lifts them out one by one to empty the truck.. I am going to do the same.
We have hundreds of buckets..
I restacked my composted wood chip pile again, I have more than I thought I did. I would guess about 5 cubic yards. The pile is about ten years old. Really nice and black and fine grained..
......jiminwisc........

I filled my Kozy Kotes today, than planted my tomatoes, and put them over them. Too warm today in my opinion here. I had the central air on all weekend. We also filled up my little raised pond, and got that going.

DoodleDoo, do you live close to Hsu's ?
I am about 10 miles west as the crow flies.
My daughter uses my pu truck to pick up potting soil and compost from Hsu's. She spreads about 30 5 gallon pails in the box. then just lifts them out one by one to empty the truck.. I am going to do the same.
We have hundreds of buckets..
I restacked my composted wood chip pile again, I have more than I thought I did. I would guess about 5 cubic yards. The pile is about ten years old. Really nice and black and fine grained..
......jiminwisc........
We like Hsu’s mulch and compost. That sounds like a great set up your daughter has! We are just beginning to compost so I’m always looking to hear what people find helpful.

I filled my Kozy Kotes today, than planted my tomatoes, and put them over them. Too warm today in my opinion here. I had the central air on all weekend. We also filled up my little raised pond, and got that going.
The hot spell we had around Easter and again this weekend throw me for a loop. I’d like a gradual warm up but then relent where we live 😂

Hi all, we kept the house closed up all day. It stayed cool inside. I went outside for a while..
Today I was going to do some work outside. Rain. so I took a nap after breakfast
With these intermittent rains, the garden is staying too wet to drag. I don't plow. the garden is so soft a few drags before planting takes care of it..
then i rototill to make it nice and smooth.
...jiminwisc....

Back
Top Bottom