Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
We had another cloud burst early last night. I am glad that I have the containers, they drain out extra water immediately.
as of 7AM today, I have my tree planting done. final tally, 2 apples, 2 pears, 3 cherries..
10 tomatoes is containers, 12 waiting for containers. I have to get some more potting dirt from the kids' stash behind the garage.
....jiminwaUSAu.......

I've given up on gardening. Too hot and humid. My garden is a wet mess, and I'm gonna go into denial. The good thing is my flower pots are blooming nicely, so that's something. :)

I am getting caught up so that my gardening is just a little maintenance.
today I am going to work on the grapes. I weeded them a little already. They need a shot of fish tea.
eventually I have to mulch the rhubarb a little more and give them a shot of fish tea.
I am mowing the grass a section at a time. there are places that I haven't mowed this year yet. and I might not.
......jiminwaUSAu......

Nice weather after the rain, eh?
I got the grapes weeded and tied to the wires. only 3 of 6 survived. I have some concord grapes where I can steal some roots from.
Almost time to harvest my first attempt at garlic. If the bulbs look as nice as the tops do, it should be a nice crop. I picked the scapes off as soon as I saw them .
The raised gardens are doing fine. The doe that visits hasn't bothered anything yet. I fertilize with fish emulsion. I don't think she likes the odor.
lots of tomatoes coming onto the vines.
I have them all staked. but the beefsteaks might need some added support. there are bunches of as many as 8. that will pull the branch down.
lots of blossoms.
the beets took off slow, but now they are looking like beets. only half of the beans came up.
.........jiminwaUSAu......

We had some beets last night. They were so delicious. :)

Garlic and dill are my main garden weeds. I don't bother planting either anymore. You will need to wait until the tops dry back before digging up the bulbs. Than dry for a few weeks. In case you didn't know.

My tomatoes plants are huge. My cucumbers are finally growing.

today my goal is learning how to train the first year grapes to the arbor. I read up on it, now to go do it.
My tomato plants are not huge, but they are getting lots of tomatoes on them. I am going to have to add support to some of the bunches of tomatoes.
......jiminwisc........

up early, all slept out.
I think I have a pretty good idea of how to do the grapes. They really took off after I doused them with fish emulsion. I found the lost 4th one. It was there, just kind of small. Hiding in the weeds..
I am not too thrilled with the forecast for today. We can use the rain, but we can do without the rough stuff.
....jiminwaUSAu.........

Hopefully the weather guy is right this morning. His map was showing the worst of the weather path sliding south of us. I closed down the little greenhouse - the vent windows are not completely shut, but closed down to about 2" opening - and removed the "sail" from the garden swing. The swing has a cloth shade over it that I remove it it gets windy. The wind has tipped the swing over a couple of times already and I really like that swing so don't want it twisted to pieces.

I'm hoping to not get 3-4 inches of rain today. We want to cut the hay again, but not if we get too much rain. We just dried out from that last 3 inches.

I'm getting green tomatoes. That late season frost set me back. Next time I need to keep them in their Kozy Kotes longer.

Back
Top Bottom