Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
I have never been afraid of snakes. It was my job to keep my mom -- who was terrified -- from beating them to death with a rake. Although she wasn't laughing, I was cracking up one day when she was attacking one by trying to whack it with her purse.

Lucky for me I'm not afraid because there have been 4- and 5-foot bull snakes out here that needed to be relocated. I generally lecture them as I carry them out to the barn. Plenty of vermin out there for them to devour; no need for them to hang out up by the house.

I'm hoping to mow tomorrow, although the sound of the rider makes my blind dog go crazy. It's likely to rain Friday, so I need to tame the jungle before precipitation creates even taller grass.

My tomatoes, peppers, onions and yellow squashes are doing well; my cauliflowers and kohlrabis would prefer some cooler weather. But, I am hoping to get some veg seeds in the ground tomorrow for a second round of planting. Waging war with rabbits and squirrels this year, so I need to make chicken wire cloches for the veg rows -- like the ones over the tomatoes and peppers.

Every day, I have to choose between wearing my summer coveralls, brimmed hat with mosquito netting and gloves to keep from being chewed on by flies and the real possibility of heat stroke from protective gear. I generally choose overdressing. I HATE flies.

No Fourth of July plans for me. From here, I can see, but not hear, fireworks from a few of the surrounding communities.

Regarding allergies, one of my chickens began making really strange noises, and after we eliminated all of what I thought were the obvious ailments, my avian vet suggested Dottie was just suffering from summer allergies. I guess she's probably right. A quarter of a Benadryl tablet, and all seems well. I had no idea chickens suffered from summer allergies, but it has been unseasonably hot and really dry, so I guess Dr. M is right again (I love that woman!).

Thanks for letting me in!

I'll direct all snakes you way @Callender Girl . :lol: Are bull snakes the same as Pine snakes? I saw a few bigger snakes as a kid, but thankfully nothing but ugly garter snakes here. Hope I didn't just jinx myself. My snake fear is real, and I get freaked out thinking about them.

I ate 2 cherry tomatoes while watering this afternoon. So I guess I was successful getting some before July. I don't see many more yet, so that cooler weather must have slowed them a bit. They were tasty. Back to waiting for more.

Fox is just playing with us now. Watching and waiting. Running when he sees us or the spotlight. He's not stopping. Need to feed less critters come winter, so I guess he's helping me out.

as long as I know where the snake is, I am OK with it. I don't pick them up.
My dad was afraid of snakes, when he worked at the paper mill, somebody stuck a pine snake under the blanket on his car seat. He jumped in and sat right on it. He jumped out a lot quicker.
I never knew that my mom was afraid of spiders. she was smart enough to keep that a secret from us three little boys. she was 95 before she told me.
I chuckled about Madonna stepping on a snake. I have seen pictures of that. never understood what it was supposed to be all about. something about the devil appearing as a snake ?

That's not funny. Never leave gift snakes for people who are afraid of them. I'm gonna have some nightmares tonight. :lol:

I guess the snake is the same as the serpent in the Garden of Eden story. I wasn't too great at following religion. Mostly scared me a lot. Haven't kept up with all that personally.

I've always said fear of spiders and snakes are instinctual fears. It just means I have great natural instincts. Danger, stay away. That's what I get out of it.

Gonna get the rest of our first crop hay off tomorrow. Now we can go back to not caring as much about whether it's going to rain or not until about the end of August when we cut second crop. A lot of work for 2 ancient donkeys, and 6 lazy goats.

I'm not seeing any apples or pears developing on my trees, but perhaps I'm going by too fast on the lawn mower to see them.

Bull snakes and pine snakes are the same thing, also called gopher snakes. They can make a hissing noise and will sometimes toss their tail into the air as if they are a rattler. Fact is, the have no venom and no rattle. Big bluffers!

Religion aside, I think it's the way snakes move that creep out people -- most of whom will never get close enough to find out snakes aren't slimy at all. I kind of admire a critter with no limbs that can still snag its own meals, completely through stealth.

Having said that, I did squeal this spring when cleaning out the garage addition. I found a "dead" snake in a box of dishes, and when I went to remove it, the snake showed me how not dead it was. I quickly composed myself and gave it a free trip to the barn.

When it comes to fruit trees, Mother Nature is playing some naughty tricks this year. My Reliance peach tree didn't weather winter well; I won't have to spend much time freezing peaches this summer. Only one of my dwarf apple trees survived winter; I've planted two this spring but, of course, they won't produce or be able to pollinate this year. My mature dwarf sour cherry tree has ONE cherry on it. Drat! It was the first tree I planted here because we always had the best sour cherries back home.

However, the pear tree (not a big fan of pears, but I can eat them) is doing fine, and the gazillion mulberry trees are producing a bounty of berries that in turn produce purple wild bird poop that is splattered everywhere! I cannot find any way of preparing mulberries that is actually tasty. At least the poultry likes them.

The aronia bushes are loaded with green berries, and the blackberries are flowering.

Hey, @oldhenlikesdogs, does your mower have cruise control? Mine does, which I think is ridiculous, and it has a headlight. Could there be anything more dangerous that mowing on "auto-control" too fast in the dark?

BTW, @jvls1942, I'm also not afraid of spiders. But show me a centipede, and I will show you absolute revulsion and a wee bit of terror! Those feathery little legs moving up and down freak me out.

@WIchickMama, hope the MN appointment went well.

@Callender Girl thanks! Appt went well, got some new meds for oldest and her seasonal allergies, hopefully they work or next step is allergy shots.

Fruit trees aren't great here but raspberries are coming in strong. We have strawberries this year too, hopefully they are good. We did pick strawberries at a neighboring farm last week but they have no flavor, just taste like water, maybe out of 10, 2 are sweet so disappointing.

I also have to mow, highs in the 90a today with chance of showers tonight and then hot/humid tomorrow with more rain overnight so now nees to decide where to fit it in between work, outside work and family.

No 4th plans here either. We used to do stuff every year at my parents with my sister and her kids but not since Covis and now my dad is having health issues so nothing. Oldest will go to her boyfriends family farm to work, eat and do fireworks and hubby and I will likely take youngest fishing and then into town for fireworks- they just aren't as exciting as I remember, lol:lau

Hey, @oldhenlikesdogs, does your mower have cruise control? Mine does, which I think is ridiculous, and it has a headlight. Could there be anything more dangerous that mowing on "auto-control" too fast in the dark?
No auto control. That sounds familiar though. I think one mower did have that. What brand? We currently have hydrostatic John Deere mowers. Foot comes off the pedal and they stop dead. No sleeping while mowing I guess. Almost lost my head a few times with the regular in gear mowers. Can't stop those fast enough when trying to duck and swerve.

Ours has headlights. I think that's if you can afford the fancy snowblower attachments, but that's probably just my rationalized idea. Otherwise what is the purpose of headlights? For those old drunk fellows to drive to the bar? :lol:

My strawberries look like crap. I haven't been able to find a decent variety since I foolishly got rid of my original variety. Can't recall what it was either. Haven't had a decent crop with them planted in my big raised boxes. I think they may need better drainage. Not sure if I have the gusto to move them elsewhere.

GS got my computer fixed.
I spent a couple of hours outside. Annie found a substantial grape vine growing along the wind break along the driveway. It doesn't look like a wild variety. I mowed into the brush along side of it as best as I could. I think I will make a trellis for it. It is actually the best looking vine we have.
I got the gas out of the tiller. soaked as much as I could from the bottom with a towel. I am letting it air dry for a few hours, now.
in the mean time I planted a few of the roots that I jerked out of the ground a few days ago. I had them soaking in water. One of them has a two foot tall shoot. I didn't trim it back. I am hoping there is enough root to support it. I have it tied to a stake.
Callender girl, we are all happy to have you along. sorry I didn't mention it sooner.

Otherwise what is the purpose of headlights? For those old drunk fellows to drive to the bar? :lol:
so you have been to our small local town!!?? lol honestly though, more ATV/UTV at our local bars than actual vehicles in the summer.

I told the kids no AC unless the temps hits 95+ outside, as the shade trees keep the house nice and cool, so they have been hiding out in dark areas reading with flashlights :)

Today is my Friday at work, so lots of meetings. I am counting down the minutes til 3:30

Back
Top Bottom