Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
I didn't hear about the wind. :oops: We are expecting 10 inches now. They keep increasing the amount. I suppose someone noticed our gravel in our driveway was showing here. Can't have that in February.

You do any gardening?
Well, our weather forecast was a non-event. We got a dusting of snow and no wind. Can't say I feel bad about that. Roads were closed one county over, so it came that close. How did you turn out? I hope it wasn't too bad.

I garden, but more vegetables than flowers. I love flowers and would like to grow them, but I'm just not good at it. And I don't have an artist's eye to know what would look good where. So, i have a chunk of ground dug up with some flowers in it for now.

We didn't grow any veggies last year, because we were gone for 7 weeks on a trip to Alaska. The year before last, I grew and canned enough tomatoes to last until this summer. I think we'll be growing even more veggies this year. Our youngest son and family are moving back to the area and DIL is talking about gardening with us.

Well, our weather forecast was a non-event. We got a dusting of snow and no wind. Can't say I feel bad about that. Roads were closed one county over, so it came that close. How did you turn out? I hope it wasn't too bad.

I garden, but more vegetables than flowers. I love flowers and would like to grow them, but I'm just not good at it. And I don't have an artist's eye to know what would look good where. So, i have a chunk of ground dug up with some flowers in it for now.

We didn't grow any veggies last year, because we were gone for 7 weeks on a trip to Alaska. The year before last, I grew and canned enough tomatoes to last until this summer. I think we'll be growing even more veggies this year. Our youngest son and family are moving back to the area and DIL is talking about gardening with us.
We got around a foot of snow here. I wish it had missed us too. I guess it's only February so I can't expect much else.

I don't grow as many flowers as I used to. I don't grow as many vegetables either, but we enjoy fresh produce here. Nothing in the store can compare. Some day we may do some traveling, but I think we will escape for part of the winter, it drags on just a bit too long. I bet Alaska was some gorgeous country.

Same here. Veggies are just more "useful" and I have a harder time getting flowers to grow from seed compared to veggies.

When I do grow flowers I mostly pick specific plants I like, rather than what actually might look nice together. So it tends to get a bit hodgepodge as my eye goes to specific plants, rather than how the planting looks in general.

I am glad the storm missed you.
I started out with just trying to grow a few veggies. I think veggies can be quite pretty too. Scarlet runner beans for one have a pretty flower.
Maybe put some bee attractions in the garden along with the veggies. I grew borage for a while. It has a pretty blue flower. It was easy to sow too. I recall scratching up the ground before last frost and sprinkling seed them covering lightly. This year I am planting buckwheat in my veggie beds as green mulch.

Same here. Veggies are just more "useful" and I have a harder time getting flowers to grow from seed compared to veggies.

When I do grow flowers I mostly pick specific plants I like, rather than what actually might look nice together. So it tends to get a bit hodgepodge as my eye goes to specific plants, rather than how the planting looks in general.

I would call that a cottage garden. ;)
At least that's what I call my jumble. :p

We got around a foot of snow here. I wish it had missed us too. I guess it's only February so I can't expect much else.

I don't grow as many flowers as I used to. I don't grow as many vegetables either, but we enjoy fresh produce here. Nothing in the store can compare. Some day we may do some traveling, but I think we will escape for part of the winter, it drags on just a bit too long. I bet Alaska was some gorgeous country.

Blech! A foot is better than two but blech.
I miss spring. I know when it gets here it will be gone in a flash.

I 100% agree. Fresh from the home garden is the best ever!

Alaska is beautiful. We love it up there.

I have become spoiled with home grown veggies. I’m not sure why I do it, but it seems that once every winter I buy a tomato or two from the grocery store. They look so pretty. Then I try to eat them, and they have no flavor!

Sounds like you grow flowers like I do. I do have perennials that attract bees, butterflies and hummingbirds. A local beekeeper has hives just a bit down the road from us.

In preparation for seed starting I was setting up my shelves. It is clear I will have issues with the one remaining cat we have. :rolleyes:

My shelves are 6' tall 3' wide and 18" deep. The plan to save my seedlings is to build a cage around my shelves. I have wire....I think enough to do the whole thing.
I have drawn it up and got my cuts planned out. Good golly it will take 36 boards at 8' long. 😳

I will certainly post pics as I get it done.

This morning I find myself reading up on seed starting.
Stratify? Not sure I quite get that 100%. :hmm

I bought penstemon seeds. It says on the web that the seeds need at least a 2 month stratification. Good golly I don't have 2 months!
I will put some in the fridge following what I read and try some without doing that then compare results.
It might all be for naught as my soil is heavy clay. I read they need well draining sandy soil without a lot of fertilization.
:confused: All I can do is try right?

What other seeds need this cold treatment????

Maybe I can dig out some of the clay where I want to grow them and mix up some of their preferred soil type......

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom