Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the Middle of a Wisconsin winter part 2

Pics
I'd call it stinking hot out. Staying inside mostly. We got about 3/4 of an inch in rain yesterday.

I'm hoping my green beans start flowering soon. I need to trim up my tomato plants so I can see if anything is on them. Probably tomorrow. They say it will be cooler with a breeze.

Mixed bag of weather news: the heat advisory is supposed to expire tonight -- right before the severe thunderstorm watch begins.

I had to go into town today and snagged half-priced perennials at Bomgaars: some lavenders and rudbeckias for the front flower bed and a Northern Highbush Blueberry. I only got one so I can see if, like the aronias a few years back, the bunnies are going to chew it to the ground. Also, Tuesday is senior discount day, so I got an additional 10 percent off the half price. And, I got a bunch of fly traps on sale.

If the storm passes me by, I will try to get those plants in the ground tomorrow.

three old women died at the same time.
when they got to heaven St Peter said come on in, but we have one rule here.
Never step on a duck.
There were ducks everywhere, it was hard to not step on one.

eventually one of the ladies stepped on a duck.
St Peter chained her to the ugliest man in heaven. You will be chained to him for eternity, he said.
In a little while the second lady stepped on a duck. She met the same fate as the first lady.
The third lady became very careful.
She never stepped on a duck.
One day St Peter called her and said that she was going to be chained to the most handsome man that was in heaven.
She said happily, what did I ever do to deserve this ?
the man said, I don't know about you, but I stepped on a duck..

Thank goodness the heat finally broke, but the remains of South Dakota's derecho came through with a dark, windy vengeance last night. A couple of years ago, a derecho dropped half a tree on my Over E-Z coop. They're very sturdy pre-fabs; there was some denting of the metal roof but no other structural damage.

More storms may be on the way, but this part of the state is in a drought, so I can't complain about rain. Guess those new plants will wait a while to spread their roots in the ground.

Temperatures are cooler, but still muggy out. Gonna try trimming my tomatoes until I can't take the heat anymore.

Good news predators have temporarily stopped taking my free range chickens. Bad news, they moved onto my muscovy ducks. I'm thinking we have coyote on top of the fox. Husband says he will try to hunt the coyote, but last time took him 3 months just to see one and take a shot. It's getting easier to feed and water everything so that's a plus I guess.

today I have my mechanic's hat on.
I am giving a go at getting the old lawn mower started. cleaned up the wires, have the battery out and on the charger. It indicates that it is charging. whether it holds a charge remains to be seen. I took a shop rag and dabbed all the old gas out of the tank.
If I can get the engine to turn over, it will start.
I checked on the grapes this morning. a few of them are going great guns. also there are some new shoots on the ground. I have to decide if I should let them grow or cut them off.
wait and see.

Got my tomatoes trimmed yesterday. Not many tomatoes. Disheartening. The cucumbers are starting to climb the fence panel, and I saw blossoms on my green bean plants. I've given up with the strawberries. The dill took over that box, and what's growing looks miserable anyways. Maybe if I don't care about them they will start to thrive? Did you get many berries picked yesterday Jim?

Sorry to hear about the tomatoes. I have some yellow cherry ones that SHOULD turn in the next few days. If nothing attacks them.

Another green bean plant has struggled to the surface. I now know why the survival rate is so low. Critters are digging up the beans and leaving them on top of the soil; I found almost a dozen when I was weeding. I suspect squirrels -- as they are also digging up the plants on my deck. Tonight, they will get a bonus dose of hot pepper spray when they dig.

Dark and gloomy, looks like the predicted rain may hit. I got the new lavenders and rudbeckias in the ground. The blueberry bush will have to wait.

Back
Top Bottom