Dreaming of Spring Gardening in the middle of a Wisconsin winter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pics
I thought they were bigger than they ended up being. I think it would work great, I would either face them so the short end gets the sun or even put pots in front of them, but they would warm up fast in the spring. I'm always for reusing things. My husband like to scrap things out for money. You have done a lot of work in your yard.

I think of it as a labor of love.

There are others that I have viewed that were much taller and longer that I tossed out of the idea patch since they would take TONS literally to fill.

I kind of liked the one I linked because it would not take nearly as much to fill it and may not heat up as badly.
I do have no idea if the roofing materials I have would leach bad things into the dirt either. That is the other concern...... will have to explore that part of it. The roofing was salvaged roofing already so no real way to trace what it is made of or coated with..... hmmmm lots to think about.

They are a good size to fill, I hadn't thought about that. I don't think metal leaches stuff, but something to look into.

Ya'll are making me laugh! "Diary of the traveling plants" "demanding donkeys" Those are some funny mental pictures there.

I think with the new garden plans I am working on and doing row covers/protective wire covers I may be able to let the chickens out more. They would surely like it.
Hanging in there a little longer (snow is still on the ground here) before I can really get going on things.
Just plans and dreams of huge healthy plants right now for me. *Sigh*
Dear Diary
Our mother has to go out of town, and she's worried her roommate (who is a nice man!) will forget to water and tend to us.
Dearest Diary, we're going to Cape Cod, Massachusetts! And so is our friend the grow light!
We've never been to such a Zone before. This is our last chance to travel.

Love, German Thyme, Sweet Marjoram, Acorn Squash, Tomatoes, Indigo, Violet Artichokes,Lavender, Summer Savoy and Flat Parsley.

P.S. She is still pondering taking Miss Biddy a funny looking plant that can walk and makes weird noises.
We're a little afraid of her.

Dear diary, You have every reason to be afraid of Miss Biddy. She's a member of the carnivorous plant family. Related to the Venous Fly Trap, Sun Dew, and Pitcher plant. However, she is the most lethal one of all. Protect your little cotyledons from her at all costs. She'll not stop at one little nibble.

Dear diary, You have every reason to be afraid of Miss Biddy. She's a member of the carnivorous plant family. Related to the Venous Fly Trap, Sun Dew, and Pitcher plant. However, she is the most lethal one of all. Protect your little cotyledons from her at all costs. She'll not stop at one little nibble.
gig.gif

I ended up leaving plants and Miss Biddy at home. My roommate promised to coddle them both. :)

LOL the things we come up with to pass the winter!

Looking through all my gardening magazines and found a neat picture of bamboo in a large raised wooden "pot". More like a raised bed. Got me thinking that if I planned it out right I could do the Okra like that AND get the shade for the back patio that is needed so badly.

It is after all a member of the hibiscus family so should if all goes well also have pretty flowers.

Maybe even find room in the same container for some acorn squash or such........

I prefer butternut squash, the only one I will grow, there's a variety that doesn't spread as much, acorn squash I thought was dry and mealy, butternut, I half, seed, put in a glass casserole dish, about 1/2 inch of water, salt, pepper, bit of butter in the hole, bake covered with foil until soft, scoop out, add a bit more butter, fabulously sweet and delicious.

Bamboo, haven't tried it yet, but it has always intrigued me, especially the black varieties. Okra sounds pretty. I grow a lot of things in pots, some stay out in the winter others like roses go in the shed.

It is funny you mention butternut squash. I made one tonight just like you make it. I have not eaten acorn squash in many years so have forgotten what it is like. Maybe I will grow a plant just for the chickens then and butternut for the humans.
I get burned out on zucchini since it is so very prolific I always have way more then needed.

Never had spaghetti squash. Not so sure about that stuff.
hmm.png

Spaghetti squash was vaguely tasteless, but an intriguing texture, they claim you can use it in place of real spaghetti and put sauce on it, but I thought that sounded gross, I will always fall back to butter and salt, but next to butternut I haven't found anything as tasty so I don't bother.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom