Dreams Do Come True!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ChickDrmr, Nov 24, 2012.

1. ChickDrmr

ChickDrmr Out Of The Brooder

Hello from Florida,

About two years ago, my husband and I decided to sell our starter home and attempt to move to a more preferred rural area. I've always wanted more land and distance from our neighbors. I wanted my kids to be able to play in the back yard and hear nature, not the foul language and rantings of our beloved neighbors. I also was determined to live in a place that I could have chickens and other livestock if I wanted (much to my husband's dismay). Well as you are all aware, real estate had taken a big dive and put us upside down on our house (even after a major remodel). Needless to say, in our house we stayed.

Two years later, and listing and removing our house four times, we finally sold our house! We were super excited, and with enough profit to buy a nice steak dinner, for one of us anyway, we were on our way. The only thing to do next was buy our dream house, right? Problem was, most of the "great deals" were already under contract and what was left was not much. We had begun to get desperate and even decided to put our dream house plan on the back burner and settle for "better than what we had" even if it wasn't in the preferred rural area we had originally planned. This didn't help us much at all. We were about to give up and get a rental when out of nowhere....our dream house appeared before us. A lovely house on 1.4 acres where I can have chickens!!

We close on our new house in 3 days!

I have already ordered my baby chicks to be delivered in April!

When I first joined this forum 7 months ago, my member name was exactly what I was. A chicken dreamer. I will soon be a chicken owner, and I couldn't be more excited.

My husband has also had time to come to terms that we will be owning chickens. He's gone from "I'm not touching them" to "I'm not cleaning up the poop." He even clucks at me every once and a while. :) I think he'll do just fine with it all.

I'm looking forward to blogging our adventure as we move into our new home and build a coop while we wait for our new chicks....pics of the new digs next week.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] from California, lol I know exactly what kind of neighbors you are describing, I had a lovely "couple" living across the street thankfully they moved whew!

1 person likes this.
  4. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

It sounds really lovely

1 person likes this.
  5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Congrats on the house! I know what you mean. We lived in a terrible neighbourhood and it took us 4 years to sell our place, but we're now renting a lovely house on a farm. I told the rental agent I don't care about the house, I just want a place where I can keep chickens. So he showed us a house with horses on one side and cows on the other... good thing I my sense of smell is not so good [​IMG]. We're planning on buying our dream home one day, but for now I'm so happy here and hope your dream place will be everything you wanted and more!

1 person likes this.
  6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

1 person likes this.
  7. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    :frow & :welcome from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

1 person likes this.
  8. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Glad your dreams came true! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Congratulations to you! [​IMG] [​IMG] from S. Florida! So glad you joined us!

1 person likes this.
  10. bm12171

bm12171 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 24, 2012
    Bruceville, IN
    Welcome!!! I'm new chicken owner and BYC has been so awesome, plus the members here are TOP NOTCH!! All have been so amazing and helpful! Enjoy your chickens when you get them, I know I sure have. Congrats and best wishes on your house, so exciting!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by