Dried Garlic

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by alpinefarm, Dec 20, 2008.

1. alpinefarm

alpinefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    My chickens go nuts over dried garlic but the only place I've been able to find it is at my health food store and it is pretty expensive ($5/lb). Does anybody know a less expensive mail order source?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2008
  2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I posted a while ago on another garlic thread, I bought "cull" garlic (whole) for around $1.50 a pound, I had to dry and chop it myself.

3. alpinefarm

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    Rats, I was hoping to find bulk dried.
    Did you oven dry or just air dry?
    Thanks!

4. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Seems like a pound of dried garlic would be alot . Isn't it pretty light when it's dry ? How much do you feed in order to keep your eggs from tasting like garlic ?

5. alpinefarm

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    I've not had my eggs taste like garlic, but I *love* garlic, so I wouldn't mind if they did! [​IMG]

I tend to feed it during the cold months, maybe 1/2 c. per feeder full of grains. In the 3 seasons that they free range/forage, they don't eat that much grain, so I don't bother with adding it.

6. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Quote:what about granulated garlic - we buy it at Sam's club for about
    $5 a quartsize bottle. i sprinkle it on warm oatmeal or rice for my girls as a treat.

BTW - no added salt is in it.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  7. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I used my dehydrator.

It never changed the taste of my girls eggs, I didn't give them much. Most of the garlic went to the horse and goat. They each got about a tablespoon once a day - so I go through it pretty fast, I used to buy a BIG plastic tub of it for the horse - that was $20 or so. If you don't mind spending that to get a large plastic tub full, then shop the horse department.

This is the brand I used to buy for my horse: (2.2 pound bucket for $20)
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produ...cmPreserveSource=true&cmPreserveCategory=true

Last edited: Dec 21, 2008
  8. alpinefarm

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Colorado
    Excellent! I'll check out both these ideas, the equine source and Sam's Club. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by