drinker confusion

stargirl

Songster
10 Years
Jun 15, 2011
UK
I purchased one of these

696.jpg

as the website said it 'takes most standard glass jam jars'.

I have tried every size jar I own and none fit properly. & I make jam so I have a lot of jars! Shouldn't it be a tight fit? Plus, when I fill it and turn it the right way up, the tray fills with the entire contents of the (big) jar making the jar a bit pointless.

The middle bit with a hole in it is removable. I know I could've just bought a plastic one for cheaper but I thought this would be good as I could see the water level, and I try to avoid plastics...

What am I missing here?
barnie.gif
I can't return it & I want it to work!

Last edited:
Beats anything I've ever stepped in. I don't see any threads to screw the jar in. What do you see under the thingy with the hole in it? Might wanna call the buzzards that you got it from. LOL!!

I have some similar to that. They take a regular mouth Mason jar. The metal ones are a pain in the butt. You have to fuss too much with them. I prefer the plastic. They fit much better.

usually those kind are for quart mason jars...but you being from the UK it might be different.

I have had some trouble with the new ones this year not fitting any of my old jars.

hope you get it figured out!

Thanks everyone!
Mason jars, right! Will have a look on ebay
smile.png

Zookeeper - wishing I had just gone for plastic now!
roll.png
Live & learn!

Quote:
looks like it to me. Here the opening comes in two sizes, wide mouth and regular, but I don't see that there. Also here, any quart or liter mayonnaise jar has the same size opening and would work.

You can prefill it and then add the jar so that it can serve as a reserve instead of emptying out. Sorry it has not been working. I had a hanging plastic waterer that would not work and I was very frustrated because it almost killed my chickens from dehydration. Maybe you can modify it a bit to make it work.

I have two plastic chick feeders that look identical to each other but were purchased at different stores/different times. One screws easily onto any standard mason jar. The other? It attaches to NOTHING other than a 24 oz. plastic mayonnaise jar. I'm convinced that it was designed with proprietary threads to be used with only the plastic 1 qt. jar being sold at the same store. Oh, and it's normal for the tray to hold 30-50% of the jar's contents. They're really pretty inefficient that way.

Thanks for all the help! Glad to hear I'm not the only one who's had issues with drinkers!
I suspect this product has been imported from the US so anyone else buying it here will have the same issues.

if anyone wants to send me their empty mayonnaise jars, I'll send you English goodies in return!
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom