DRINKER CUP VS DRINKER NIPPLE?

I have used cups and vertical nipples.. and it really depends on the breed of chickens you have. I can't remember for sure but I did read some dont do well with nipples...
Cups are great for summer but nipples are less likely to freeze if inside the coop in the winter..
I Live in Australia in Queensland so we never get cold the coldest it gets is like 3 degrees Celcius and that's only in the evening and mornings through the day it's normally quite hot. I have never experienced Freezing in our waterers

Was wondering if your setup was cold weather friendly and it sounds like it is! Do you have any issue with the nipples freezing?
I use horizontal nipples, a tote with lid, and a stock tank deicer in the winter. The weather here in NW Montana gets a touch chilly at times. Has been down into the -20s F and the waterer was still working fine. The waterer is kept int he run. The run is protected from wind by clear vinyl shower curtains during the winter.

The vertical nipples will freeze at a much higher temperature than the horizontal nipples. The cups will easily freeze.

Last edited:
I bought 12 cup style from Amazon. I'll install 4 on each side of the inverted "T" that is plumbed to a 5 gallon bucket with lid. This is for my 36 chickens, the ducks (2 pekins, 2 ruins and a runner can drink from them or their children's pool. The other 4 cups I'll install on a 5 gallon bucket for the 15 Muscovy ducklings I just received. I call them chucklings.

I bought a feeder and waterer (Royal Rooster, brand from Australia! - I am in the U.S.) that uses a blue float instead of the yellow lever. I have bantams, so they sometimes can't quite get the lever down far enough for it to fill up, or they just miss it since they are so small. So if you see the color difference, that's what it's for. Yellow is fine for the standard sized chickens.

Back
Top Bottom