Drooling Chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zade11, May 17, 2010.

1. zade11

zade11 Songster

Mar 11, 2010
    Evansville Indiana
    My lil white bantam chick was drinkin water than she jumped into my hand and just started drooling. so i sat her down and she started drinking again...normal?

2. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Songster

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Keep an eye on her. Sometimes when they get excited they can dribble some of the water out of thier mouth if they didnt swallow it all. If she isnt drooling when she is just sitting around in the pen and not excited or anything then it might be something to worry about.

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Songster

Feb 5, 2009
    Keep an eye on her. If she does it again it may be something to worry about, but like flgardengirl said, sometimes chicks just get too excited and forget to tilt their head back far enough to swallow the water!

4. The Egg Bandit

The Egg Bandit Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    I noticed that mine did that when I put their food down before I'd cleaned and refilled the waterer. Then when they got the water they'd go nuts with it and drool when they went back to the food. It freaked me out, so now the food AND water are always supplied at the same time. No more drooling, unless I pick one up and surprise it.[​IMG]

5. The Egg Bandit

The Egg Bandit Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    Sorry, some kind of freaky duplicate post. Please ignore the next one as well.

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  6. The Egg Bandit

The Egg Bandit Songster

Jan 8, 2010
    I noticed that mine did that when I put their food down before I'd cleaned and refilled the waterer. Then when they got the water they'd go nuts with it and drool when they went back to the food. It freaked me out, so now the food AND water are always supplied at the same time. No more drooling, unless I pick one up and surprise it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: