Drooling chicken

chickengirl1320

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 3, 2014
Texas
My hen has been drooling for several days now. Sometimes she drools so much that she drenches her chest. It's not like saliva, it is extremely thick but it is clear. She hasn't eaten or drank much lately. She won't even eat her favorite treat and her crop is pretty empty. I am very worried about her because she is my favorite hen. I have her quarantined just in case. I wish I could take her to a vet but I don't know one that would look at her. She isn't lethargic though so I'm hoping that's a good sign. She doesn't have any other symptoms that I know of. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

I would suggest you look up "Fowl Cholera" and see if her symptoms match...

If so it would be a good idea to give her antibiotics...such as oxytetracycline...

I looked up chicken cholera like you said, but she does have any of those symptoms. No diarrhea or swollen wattles. I didn't even see drooling listed as one of the main symptoms, honestly.

My hen has been drooling for several days now. Sometimes she drools so much that she drenches her chest. It's not like saliva, it is extremely thick but it is clear. She hasn't eaten or drank much lately. She won't even eat her favorite treat and her crop is pretty empty. I am very worried about her because she is my favorite hen. I have her quarantined just in case. I wish I could take her to a vet but I don't know one that would look at her. She isn't lethargic though so I'm hoping that's a good sign. She doesn't have any other symptoms that I know of. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!

If you can afford to see a vet just google for an avian vet in your city. I had one once that was drooling because she had a yeast infection. Treatment for a yeast infection like that is fluconazole or ketoconazole. I strongly suggest that you find a vet if you can afford it.

-Kathy

I took her to the vet today and they had no idea what it was. They have me some antibiotics and said that if she isn't better after that, then it would take $500 of x-rays and tests to figure it out. I don't have that kind of money so hopefully the antibiotics will help her perk up.

WOW! That is the reason many farmers don't take their chickens to the vet. Unfortunately vets do not get a lot of schooling on Chickens, and it costs so much just for the visit, let alone tests & meds. I am glad you did though. Hopefully the antibiotic will knock out whatever it is. Please keep us posted. I also was wondering if you mentioned to the vet what casportpony said about the diagnosis of her chicken with yeast infection?

Back
Top Bottom