Drooping Head, Falling Down

alisfirefly

In the Brooder
Jan 8, 2016
My 2 yr old Chicken has always been a little off. About 2 months ago the other chickens and ducks started pecking at her and I found her laying on her back dying. I got rid of all the other chickens and ducks and started bringing her in at night. She is eating and drinking fine. Her head droops and she flips over on her back stuck fairly often. Any ideas on what could be wrong?

Welcome to BYC. She has something neurological going on that could be a disease such as Mareks, a head injury that has caused brain damage, or possibly a stroke. If she has been like this all of her life, she may have had a vitamin deficiency or a problem during incubation that has caused this. If you brought in new birds in the weeks before she became like this, Mareks disease could have been by one of those. Mareks symptoms can appear 3-4 weeks after exposure, and some chickens may be carriers of the disease without showing symptoms. If she has Mareks, any new birds that you ever get, should be vaccinated for the disease. It can be diagnosed by getting her necropsied by the state vet after she dies. Make sure she is getting a balanced layer feed, and vitamins would be good to give.

Back
Top Bottom