Droopy and depressed with watery poop - please help!

ChookieChicken

Chirping
Jul 3, 2020
1) Nutmeg is an 8-10 month old Hyline Brown chicken. She was always the heaviest of the flock, but now she feels very light. Her keel bone is sticking out more than it used to.

2) What is the behavior, exactly. (Nutmeg is very depressed, slow and droopy lately. Her comb has shrunk significantly and the colour is more pale. She smells of bad poop, possibly due to her watery poops getting on her butt feathers. Her poop is mostly urates, watery and white. She isn't as interested in food as usual. Examined her and she isnt egg bound, no abdominal swelling either. No signs of respiratory illness. Its winter here, so watery poop isn't due to excessive water consumption.
I believe she's still laying, but I'll know for sure in the morning as she's staying in the house tonight. Will also check if her crop is emptying properly)

3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? (more severe symptoms - about 2 weeks. Less severe - about a month)

4) Are other birds exhibiting the same symptoms? (no)

5) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. (no)

6) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. (nothing that I can think of).

7) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. (she's eating much less than usual. I've just started giving get electrolytes to help re hydrate her while she's doing these water poops. She eats her chicken food (loose mash) and drinks clean water daily. She had sons boiled white rice today)

8) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. (Mostly urates. White, and watery.)

9) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? (avitrol and kilverm worming)

10 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet?
(self treating us preferable, but will take her to t
IMG_20200824_150229.jpg
he vet if I can't)

Attachments

• IMG_20200824_145301.jpg
    IMG_20200824_145301.jpg
    579 KB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom