Droopy hen - help please

Georgiahome622

Songster
5 Years
Jan 15, 2018
North Florida
Hi, I went out to check my flock and one of my girls is ailing. Droopy comb, droopy tail and is drooling. I scrambled an egg for her but she doesn’t seem interested. Her crop is a little boggy, not firm. She also feels light weight.

Any ideas on how to help her? The rest of the girls seem fine.

Thanks !

Attachments

• C3F170C1-AFCE-49DE-8259-82F18B1AFE8B.jpeg
    C3F170C1-AFCE-49DE-8259-82F18B1AFE8B.jpeg
    700.7 KB · Views: 341
How old is she? Does she lay eggs regularly? I wonder if egg bound would cause her to feel like this. I would try a warm epson salt bath and keep her inside. That soak helps with magnesium uptake and she might feel more like eating. It’s an easy thing to try- I held my hen in warm water in a quiet place for about 20 minutes. Then she was okay w eating a bit. I gave her vit b complex and electrolytes in her water. Seemed to do the trick for one of my hens. If only the hen could tell us what is wrong.. hugs 🤗
Just re read your post- she is drooling? That is odd.
I found this:
Post in thread 'Chickens drooling and lethargic, HELP!'
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chickens-drooling-and-lethargic-help.1418945/post-23311550

When did she last Kay? Can you feel her keel?
I’m not sure. I have 3 Isa browns in a mixed flock of 15, so not sure which is laying. One of them has been laying eggs with super thin shells - so thin either they break in the box or when I pick them up. Maybe it’s her? That has been going on for a while now, I’ve just now noticed she is sick, so that’s brand new. Everyone else seems healthy. They eat Purina layer, sunflower seeds and scratch. Occasional mealworms. They free range all day, cooped at night. She is inside in a crate and has nibbled at the egg. Not drinking.

I’m not sure. I have 3 Isa browns in a mixed flock of 15, so not sure which is laying. One of them has been laying eggs with super thin shells - so thin either they break in the box or when I pick them up. Maybe it’s her? That has been going on for a while now, I’ve just now noticed she is sick, so that’s brand new. Everyone else seems healthy. They eat Purina layer, sunflower seeds and scratch. Occasional mealworms. They free range all day, cooped at night. She is inside in a crate and has nibbled at the egg. Not drinking.
She is 2 years old.

Hi, I went out to check my flock and one of my girls is ailing. Droopy comb, droopy tail and is drooling. I scrambled an egg for her but she doesn’t seem interested. Her crop is a little boggy, not firm. She also feels light weight.

Any ideas on how to help her? The rest of the girls seem fine.

Thanks !
I have a series of questions. How old is she? Is she very thirsty? Does she tremble? does her poop seem extra watery or mushy if so what colour is it?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom