droopy, pale comb

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by billmac, Oct 7, 2011.

1. billmac

billmac Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    I have a white leghorn pullet (born in march). She basically sits in the nest box all the time unless I pull her out. She has a pale, floppy comb. She seems to eat when I put her out of the box, (and clucks angrily). She does still seem to be laying, although not consistently (roll out nest boxes). I haven't checked for mites, but I have 19 other hens without any problems. Is she broody? This young? Do their combs do that when they are broody? Anything I should do? Thanks.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

A floppy comb for a leghorn is normal. A pale comb could mean anemia, or illness, or even something else I'm sure.

It is always a good idea to consider worms and mites, for sure when seeing a pale comb.

3. ChickenLove123

ChickenLove123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2011
    I also have a hen who's half white leghorn and half blue orpington -- hatched in April. Her comb has gotten pale, too. She was broody for a couple days last week, and she last laid one week ago. I'm hoping that since she is not broody anymore (I thought she was too young, too), she'll get back to laying again soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by