Droopy rooster - no longer sick

MochaDuck

Crowing
Jun 7, 2018
So my rooster, Ruben, has been very droopy today. I think I noticed it a day or so ago, but then he perked up so I just figured it was from being hot, then he'd just cool down and be ok. But today I notice he was really droopy. I didn't notice him eating today (but I wasn't home a lot today) and when I have a grass (a snack he usually likes) he just stared off like he didn't see it; but my mom noticed him eating yesterday. It's been very hot, but he has shade and water, and we'll also bring fruit out for him to cool down.

He didn't even try to bite us when we got near him, or crow at all (both extremely unusual for him).

I don't have pictures right now, but I may be able to get some tomorrow.

He's the only one of 19 chickens acting like this. There was one more that was slightly droopy, but she's not now. Ruben is mostly separated; he's only with one other rooster, and the other one is acting completely fine. The other rooster, Mac, and him usually get along, but I notice that mac will sometimes start a little "I'm the alpha and don't you forget it" fight, but they don't even last a minute, and there's never bloodshed.

Ruben had his first apple to eat last week, could he be allergic or gotten a "belly" ache? Also, he used to be with two females, but he was over breeding them so we had to separate them. Now he can see, but not touch them. Could he be missing the females?

@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @casportpony

Thank you in advance for your help

What do Reuben’s droppings look like? How does his crop feel—empty and flat, full, soft, firm, puffy? Can you check it first thing in the morning? Can you offer him some water with electrolytes and vitamins, some chopped scrambled egg, and wet his feed with water in a small bowl?

What do Reuben’s droppings look like? How does his crop feel—empty and flat, full, soft, firm, puffy? Can you check it first thing in the morning? Can you offer him some water with electrolytes and vitamins, some chopped scrambled egg, and wet his feed with water in a small bowl?
Thanks. My mom is the only one who can handle him, but I'll tell her what you said.

Here's what my mom said:

"When I put him in the cage tonight he felt nice and solid. I didn’t squeeze around there or anything but it didn’t seem soft."

Btw, we don't have their actual coop done yet, so the "cage" is just a pet carrier, in a chicken run, that they're in ONLY at night. It's just temporary

Update:
I forgot to give updates. Sorry.

Ruben is acting almost, if not compleatly, normal. He must have just been too hot

Back
Top Bottom