Droopy tail feathers

JessyGii

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 4, 2012
Ohio
I have a 4 month old barred rock hen that I got about 3 weeks ago and she has had droopy tail feathers since I got her. I also took home her sister who is also 4 months old and her tail feathers are perked up. she looks and acts completely healthy otherwise, she is eating, drinking, scratching and pecking and running around the yard with the rest of the chickens. She has not started laying eggs yet. Is this just because she is young or does this mean something is wrong? It isn't hot here so it isn't heat stress, and she is getting along well with the rest of the hens now so I don't think she is getting bullied around because she's new. I also picked her up and examined her body she looks and feels in good condition , I don't notice any hard lumps in her belly or anything like that, vent is clean, skin is fresh and flake free, feathers are nice. I wanted to show these two birds at the fair , they are beautiful but I am afraid this will be a bad defect.

Could you post a picture? Have you considered her being a barred cochin or cochin cross? If you can post a picture then I am sure someone could be helpful.

I am not sure I was told they were just barred rocks, I will post a picture tomorrow

I would love to know the answer to this. I am having the same issue with a Partridge Chantecler. She just started laying this week and as of yesterday her tail is hanging down. She eats, drinks and laid an egg this morning.

Also interested in the answer, I have a 10 week old Wyandotte pullet that has this as well. I've had her since she was 6 weeks old and she had it when I got her. All hatch mates have normal tails except for her.

She is the silver laced one.

I can not get or find an answer, I am thinking it may just be a defect and nothing very serious , because she is in good health. maybe they will grow out of it , I am not sure. It would be nice to know why.

I'm thinking genetics? Some of my hatchery BR's have a kinda droopy tail. Some stand up, some are straight out and some are pointed a bit down...since I have NO IDEA what the genetic make up is, of these birds I'm bettin mine are genetic defects!!! With possibly a cross in there or several? My birds I'm talking about. No idea on yours, but could be the some issues???? Just a guess really. I have seen real Barred Plymouth Rocks, have some coming in the spring...with some Dom's...HUGE difference between the hatchery lot and the Heritage breeds. Mine are only 7 weeks, but I doubt their overall appearance will change too much.

Sorry it took me so long, I have been at my local county fair showing poultry.

First off do either of the birds have the normal tail bone? Emma Leigh it looks to me as though you have an auricauna cross, as it looks as though she is missing that mass that forms the tail. (sorry I can't think of terminology I just got home and everything settled.) JessyGii I am unsure with your bird, I assume that since chickens get wry tail from genetics that the tail can "wry" in a different direction.

I would take her to the fair if your in 4-H because then you will get an opinion from the judge that might help discover the answer to this mystery.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom