Dropped an 11 day old egg. Help

it's best to dispose of it. Various people have tried various things to repair a cracked shell but these methods don't keep out infection, and it is liable to contaminate the rest of the clutch whether in an incubator or under a broody. And the chances of getting a healthy chick from it are negligible. Accidents happen. Good luck with the rest of the clutch.

I was candeling and dropped an 11 day old egg. It's cracked and minor bleeding.
Hi!
I cracked an 11 day old Muscovy egg as well when I was videotaping it’s movement.
It didn’t crack the membrane and there is no leakage. I immediately put paraffin wax on the crack and I’m not going to dispose of it until I know that the baby has passed.
It happened last night and I’m going to candle it as soon as it gets dark.
May I ask what happened with yours?
How did the other babies do?

I hope to hear back from you!
Blessings,
Amy

I had 2 duck eggs I gave to a hen. She cracked both, on day 8. One was too far gone, one had a dent only in the aircell part. I put on nail polish. I moved it to an incubator that had hatching eggs, I keep moving it to incubators that had hatching eggs to keep the moisture, he hatched fine.
IMG_3142.JPG

IMG_3143.JPG

Why it worked was because it was the air cell, no bleeding.

I had 2 duck eggs I gave to a hen. She cracked both, on day 8. One was too far gone, one had a dent only in the aircell part. I put on nail polish. I moved it to an incubator that had hatching eggs, I keep moving it to incubators that had hatching eggs to keep the moisture, he hatched fine.
View attachment 3395812
View attachment 3395815
Hi!

Oh my, how PRECIOUS! That’s amazing that the little one survived the crack! I’m so happy to hear your wonderful news!

I put paraffin wax over the crack and baby is still moving as of this morning.
As I said, it didn’t penetrate the membrane and no bleeding. Do you think I should use nail polish instead? It won’t poison the embryo?
I’m concerned with what will happen when the duckling starts to get bigger and puts pressure on the egg. I’m afraid it will get bigger and give out.
We are only on day 13 and Muscovy eggs take about 37 days to hatch I believe. I’m going to be worried sick until lockdown (If it even makes it at all) I know I must sound silly, but we truly love our ducks very much and we raised the mother and incubated them as well! It would be wonderful to add to “Their family.”
Congratulations on saving your beautiful baby, it gives me some much needed hope!
Please let me know if you think I should take off the wax and use nail polish instead.

Have a blessed day! ❤️

Here’s mom and dad in June. 😊

Attachments

• 2AB73894-BA8B-4434-9AFE-5D21668AF45C.jpeg
    2AB73894-BA8B-4434-9AFE-5D21668AF45C.jpeg
    453.3 KB · Views: 3
View attachment 3395812
View attachment 3395815
Hi,

Well, he didn’t make it. Poor little baby passed away yesterday. Even though the crack wasn’t bad and i covered it right away, we lost him.
I’m heartbroken. 💔
Believe it or not my female is STILL laying! She started on January 23rd and laid another one this morning! So I have 4 different ages of eggs incubating right now. I think it time to buy another incubator because come lockdown time (if we even make it to that point) it would be impossible!
Ugh, I’m so confused right now!

Have a blessed day,
Amy

it's best to dispose of it. Various people have tried various things to repair a cracked shell but these methods don't keep out infection, and it is liable to contaminate the rest of the clutch whether in an incubator or under a broody. And the chances of getting a healthy chick from it are negligible. Accidents happen. Good luck with the rest of the clutch.
The same thing happened to me on day 11 with my Muscovy egg. I immediately covered the crack in paraffin wax because the crack didn’t damage the membrane and there was no bleeding.
Poor baby lived til day 15 and passed away last night.
I’m heartbroken 💔
I’m so sorry this happened to you, it’s very upsetting and sad..
But if it’s bleeding there really isn’t any hope.
I’m so sorry sweetie.

Kindly,
Amy

Back
Top Bottom