Dropped an egg when candling, was it viable? pics

The only way I see veins that early is using a VERY bright, tiny flashlight shining down through the top (fat end) of the egg in a pitch black room. I would not worry at this point about not seeing veins. However, like I said before, I do not believe that egg was fertile (would bet money on it in fact) and if they are from the same source, none of them may be. I would try again at day 7 or 10 and see what you have.

The source of the eggs came from my own birds. They are 8 1/2 month old pullets but the eggs are big. And I've been checking them when I go to cook them for fertility. Most all of them have the white ring on the yolk. These eggs I collected over a period of 4 days and were sitting in an open egg carton on my dinning room table. I learned after the fact that I should have been turning them durning this time. I'm wondering if this may have caused a problem.

It is possible, or something else may have kept that one ffrom developing. Just because it didn't doesn't mean the others won't. Now, when you say they had a white ring on the yolk, do you mean a ring around the white dot making a bullseye or do you just mean a white dot? Just making sure since some people think just the white dot indicates fertility.

My first thought when I looked at it was, no it was not growing.

I have dropped them before, this last batch I dropped one and mistakenly thought one was a dud, and they were both viable. I felt horrible!

Candling before seven days is all but pointless. Most people can't see well enough, especially with homemade candlers for it to justify the risk.

Everytime you handle an egg you take a chance.

I don't think it looked fertile at all, cracked open like that you should see super fine veins and there aren't any. Those are just meat spots.

Ten days begins to give you a real idea and I never toss an egg before 14 days because you really can't be sure at times.

It's a tough way to learn but at least it was infertile.

Luck with the rest.

Back
Top Bottom