Dropped an egg :( + Wierd staggered hatching question.

I am so angry right now. I left to go surfing for a few hours and guess what happened while I was gone? My little sister came into my room to look at the eggs (without my permission, she isn't even allowed in my room) and she saw the cracked egg.
She thought it was hatching and decided to 'help it'. I came back and she had peeled away the shell to expose the aircell, and caused a bit of bleeding while doing it.
I put Vaseline on the membrane and realized while doing it that the chick is very much alive but still hasn't turned to the right end of the egg, it also had lots of veining.
I put the poor thing back in the incubator and am leaving it be, there's not anything I can do about it now.
I stopped most of the bleeding and am praying that it is ok. I'm not taking it back out to take pictures, I'm too scared that it will be dead.

The only reason my sister stopped trying to open it is because she saw bleeding and got scared, she put it back and thought that I wouldn't notice.

T
I am so angry right now. I left to go surfing for a few hours and guess what happened while I was gone? My little sister came into my room to look at the eggs (without my permission, she isn't even allowed in my room) and she saw the cracked egg.
She thought it was hatching and decided to 'help it'. I came back and she had peeled away the shell to expose the aircell, and caused a bit of bleeding while doing it.
I put Vaseline on the membrane and realized while doing it that the chick is very much alive but still hasn't turned to the right end of the egg, it also had lots of veining.
I put the poor thing back in the incubator and am leaving it be, there's not anything I can do about it now.
I stopped most of the bleeding and am praying that it is ok. I'm not taking it back out to take pictures, I'm too scared that it will be dead.

The only reason my sister stopped trying to open it is because she saw bleeding and got scared, she put it back and thought that I wouldn't notice.
The egg died, now I feel horrible.

One of the internally pipped eggs has pipped externally now, and the one that pipped internally before that one Still hasn't externally pipped. I can hear it scratching though. I made a safety hole on that egg because it has been pipped for 24hrs now. After 36hrs I'll assist that one.

You’ve mentioned your sister problem before, can you not ask your parents to keep them out of your room (clearly you asking is not working). I have 2 daughters myself, and they know they aren’t allowed in the other’s room without permission or they risk the wrath of Mom,
I’m sorry you lost your chick ☹️

You’ve mentioned your sister problem before, can you not ask your parents to keep them out of your room (clearly you asking is not working). I have 2 daughters myself, and they know they aren’t allowed in the other’s room without permission or they risk the wrath of Mom,
I’m sorry you lost your chick ☹️
I've tried before, it doesn't work. I told my parents and my sister started crying and saying that she didn't do it, and I'm not sure who they believed but they didn't do anything. Older sister problems 😒
This time it caused serious problems ☹️

Sis did not mean to harm the chick, I feel sure. She likely feels bad about the whole thing. When you are no longer upset or mad tell her how much what she did hurt your feelings. Tell her that is one reason you want her to not mess with your chickens without your permission because she might hurt their development or even cause their death, like what has happened! You both need a hug and she needs to be told to apologize , if she has not. If she apologized accept it and move on with her having a new understanding about messing with your chicks without permission. Likely she thought she was going to help or save the baby chick. Best wishes for you and your flocks!

Sis did not mean to harm the chick, I feel sure. She likely feels bad about the whole thing. When you are no longer upset or mad tell her how much what she did hurt your feelings. Tell her that is one reason you want her to not mess with your chickens without your permission because she might hurt their development or even cause their death, like what has happened! You both need a hug and she needs to be told to apologize , if she has not. If she apologized accept it and move on with her having a new understanding about messing with your chicks without permission. Likely she thought she was going to help or save the baby chick. Best wishes for you and your flocks!
Thanks, I'm only really mad because she has done stuff like this before.

I understand I had three siblings and had to share a room with at least one of them all the time growing up! Talk about problems that can arise between siblings! Think about never being able to get away from an irritating sibling! Yet, I loved them all and they are all gone now, even the younger one. I wish I could have a good old argument with one of them now! I never thought about them dying before me when we were young. It is a lot harder to loose a brother or sister than a chick. Time will heal wounds but nothing can replace a loved one that passes away and that will happen to most of us. Don't let little squabbles and misdeeds come between you and family!

Can you maybe get her onto the forum here, if she thinks she wants to learn/ help?
Perhaps encouraging her education would help her, more than discouraging her for her lack of knowledge?

I (obviously) don’t know her, but.... maybe that would be a better course than just chastising her?
How old is she?
Speaking as a mom of three now young adults....
I’m so sorry for your loss 💔 :hugs
But helping her either understand the process, when/ how to help, would likely make you feel like you can feel be more comfortable leaving your babies in the bator w her in the house in the future ?JMO
I’m glad she wants to help. And, again, so sorry she accidentally caused a problem.
I hope you can help her learn, and she might be a great help moving forward 🤞😊

Back
Top Bottom